Why are some live TV plugins located on the client and not on the TVserver?

Discussion in 'MediaPortal 1 Talk' started by lodale, October 3, 2015.

Tags:
  1. lodale

lodale Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +19 / 1
    Home Country:
    Norway Norway
    Hi a question, why are plugins like TV/radio logos made for clients and not for server?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Edalex
    • Premium Supporter

Edalex Community Plugin Dev

Ratings:
    +1,223 / 9
    Home Country:
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    Show System Specs
    Are you talking about LogoManager plugin or what?
    Since Logo files are stored on client in Mediaportal TV Engine This plugin is operating on client.

4. mm1352000
    • Team MediaPortal

mm1352000 Development Group

Ratings:
    +8,200 / 17
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Logos could be delivered from the server and cached on the client. Personally I would prefer this architecture.

In my opinion a better reason to have the logo plugin on the client side is that the client's "style" (skin etc.) may vary. Different style logos are needed for different style skins. This is something that is more difficult to handle for a server-side plugin. It isn't impossible to handle... but I did not design/create the logo manager plugin.

5. lodale

lodale Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +19 / 1
    Home Country:
    Norway Norway
    My opinion is that a server delivers information of what is accessible, not what could be accessible. Therefor logos (both TV and radio) belong to the server not the client.
    Not a big thing, but the architecture should be correct

6. Edalex
    • Premium Supporter

Edalex Community Plugin Dev

Ratings:
    +1,223 / 9
    Home Country:
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    Show System Specs
    My opinion is that downloading logos from server is unnessesary use of bandwith that could interfere tv vieving

7. mm1352000
    • Team MediaPortal

mm1352000 Development Group

Ratings:
    +8,200 / 17
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    There are design trade-offs with both approaches. This consequence seems very unlikely, especially if the download is handled properly (ie. in an asynchronous background thread with lowest possible priority). On the other hand, a certain consequence of having the plugin on the client side is that it must be installed and configured for each client installation. :(

You are one of the plugin developers, so you get to make the choices. Hopefully you consider the opinions of other people such as lodale... :)

[edit: I would also add that recording thumbnails are stored on the server and cached on each client. The same approach could be applied for logos... if you wanted it.]

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!