Operating System Windows 7 & half fullscreen (3 Viewers)

Dydey

Portal Member
March 8, 2008
Wolverhampton
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I've had a bit more time today, so I've tried the VNC method.
I don't have CCC installed for my Radeon card (another story) so via VNC off another pc with the TV powered off, I went through "Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Display > Screen Resolution > Advanced Settings > Monitor" then ticked the box that says "Hide modes this monitor cannot display". Going to the Adapter tab then allowed me to pick one of the 1920 x 1080 modes.
We allowed the HTPC to go into S3 turned the TV off and restarted after everything we watched last night, so at least 3 times, and there has been no repeat of the problem.
Typing with fingers crossed,
--Peter

fiveolddogs

August 1, 2011
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I've run Media Portal for several years and dealt with this problem for most of that time. I spent many hours trying to duplicate the various software fixes suggested in this thread, but for some reason, they never worked for me. The annoyance and barrier to casual users finally reached a breaking point, and I have moved on.

Since we don't use the recording capabilities of MP, I was able to replace the HTPC with a jailbroken Apple TV. It plays most media I throw at it. I have given up some flexibility, but sometimes "it just works" can be pretty nice. My family uses the Apple TV much more than they ever used the HTPC.

Good luck to the MP faithful.

shreilly

Portal Member
June 11, 2010
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
This is where the above solution was a problem for me too (I am using the latest version of Catalyst). To get round it, I modified the procedure to the following:

1. Install RealVNC or TightVNC and establish a remote connection to your HTPC.
2. Remove your HDMI cable from your display.
3. Your resolution should now change to 800x600 (you might drop VNC connection, but if you do then it should re-connect).
4. Using VNC, right click on the desktop and select the Screen Resolution option (not in CCC), then configure the screen to the maximum available (1600x...).
5. Start your CCC (Catalyst Control Center).
6. Go to the resolution settings in CCC and the option to set higher than 1600x... should now be available.
7. Set the required resolution and then apply and close CCC (note, for some reason 1080i 30 hz was the max available refresh in this config, but since I don't care if it is 1080 interlaced or progressive, or what the refresh rate is (for this transient never-used case) I just select anything reasonable)
8. Reinsert the HDMI cable and test the system.
Since I don't have CCC installed, I modified this as follows:
5. Click on "Advanced Settings".
6. Go to the "Monitor" tab in the resulting dialog box.
7. Remove the checkmark from "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" and click "Apply".
8. Go back to the "Adapter" tab and click "List all modes".
9. Select the desired mode and click OK to close the modes list.
10. Click "OK" to close the "Advanced Settings" dialog, then click "Yes" in the pop-up dialog to keep the new settings.
11. Reinsert the HDMI cable and test the system.

Thanks, robbo100!

Hi Just to let people know this fixed worked for me, I am using a HDMI Matrix running 2 screens and 3 inputs, one of which is a HTPC running MediaPortal, the video card is a AMD Radeon 5400. Any time I changed inputs mediaportal would resize and take up half the screen.
The specifics of my fix was, install VNC and the latest Catalyst drivers. 12.8. I then pulled the HDMI cable out of the HTPC (out of the display didn't work), I set the resolution to the 1600 max and then followed steps 5 - 11 exactly. I didn't use catalyst as there has been a change in the software.
Tested and can now switch between inputs and outputs with the matrix and mediaportal resizes correctly. Thanks for the info

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    General Fix is in the works for 1.3.0Alpha. Expect a binary for testing in Area51 early next week.

Requires testing by people with the issue to make sure nothing else gets broken and everything works as it should before merging the patch (got quite large) into master.

Last edited:

msj33

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2005
    Home Country
    England England
    General Fix is in the works for 1.3.0Alpha. Expect a binary for testing in Area51 early next week.

Requires testing by people with the issue to make sure nothing else gets broken and everything works as it should before merging the patch (got quite large) into master.
    FINALLY!............YEEEEEEEEES

Thanks - Have really been waiting for a fix for too long.

Last edited:

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Some stuff is hard to solve if no dev can reproduce it on demand or make a connection to the code. Not every dev knows all the code. /me and tsreader? No clue...

Identified the root cause more or less by chance and then found a way to prevent it as well as digging down more D3D issues until finally identified the root causes (yep, plural in this case). Very, very ancient parts of the code in relation to D3D no one has touched in years and no active dev attached to this part of the code.

From general ACPI levels, over Windows messages, down to D3D and various C# parts. Now that I know what it was (patch will have complete description) it was an easy one to identify. But that's usually the case for all post mortem discussions.

But again, has to go through Area 51 as I cannot reproduce the issue at all it there might be additional regressions for people who can reproduce it that are now left overs of the main issue and all it subparts.

Last edited:

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Please add a link here when you do... Probably need to update first post with it.

Got my Yamma a week a go, and this one is really annoying - I'll certainly help testing!

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Don't worry, I'll spam all related threads with an Area 51 link as I require testing anyway. I can't force the issue on my systems in no way, shape or form. But I am 100% confident the root causes are all identified.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom