Windows Home Server (1 Viewer)

vvulture

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Well ok... here's a thought.. Does TV server work on Server 2003 ?

If it does, than it should be ok on WHS...

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    I am running the TV Server with WS 2003. It replaced a GBPVR install about 6 months ago, and apart frm the lack of webguide it is good.

I have 3 Nova-T PCI cards picking up UK DVB-T from Hemel Hempstead, although because I live in 'nowhere, UK' I only get the first 2 muxes.

After a couple of weeks without touching, the SQL service will be sitting at over 1gb memory usage, and have to reset it. Apart from that I leave it alone.

Also, I don't think you can use anything but TS format, but I could be wrong.

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    After a couple of weeks without touching, the SQL service will be sitting at over 1gb memory usage, and have to reset it. Apart from that I leave it alone.

Have you had a look at this
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/TV-Engine_0.3/config-SQL-Server

About limiting memory usage for the SQL server

Many thanks for pointing me at this.

I had not seen it, not sure how I missed it during install OR why I didn't think to look when it first happened!

scythelt

Portal Pro
    December 19, 2006
    Home Country
    I rebuilt my server over the weekend using WHS RC1. I was previously using XP.

It's now up and running quite happily with TVE3 and MySQL 5 with a couple of other services as well.

Very happy with the setup now - as mentioned earlier, WHS uses Windows Server 2003 (actually a variant of Small Business Server). The managed disk services and automated backup that WHS brings to the table is worth the price of admission alone IMO.

Install and setup was relatively painless apart from a few issues I had with getting MySQL to install the service correctly.

I'd *highly* recommend looking at WHS if anybody is building a server for MP. WHS's synergies with a media centre's as a hub for storing music/video/pictures and streaming live tv is so closely entwined, it wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft release a WHS add-in for MCE in the near future.

vvulture

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Install and setup was relatively painless apart from a few issues I had with getting MySQL to install the service correctly.

Can you elaborate on the issues you had and what steps you took to rectify ?
    The info may help others in the future...

cheers

mayankel

Portal Member
    January 25, 2006
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    I have working TVE3 in WHS perfectly as a service.

The setup process is too easy and is running ok now.

I've two Vista connected to the WHS and one of them is running MediaPortal and working fine with the TVE3 service.

Regards

scythelt

Portal Pro
    December 19, 2006
    Home Country
    Can you elaborate on the issues you had and what steps you took to rectify ?

Sure thing. After installation of MySQL and running the Instance Config Wizard the service refused to start with an "service terminated unexpectedly error".

To fix, I deleted the following files from "C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.0\data":

• ib_logfile0
    • ib_logfile1
    • ib_data1

I then re-ran the Instance Config Wizard and the service started successfully! It turns out there was some issue with the InnoDB created by default that Windows Server 2003 doesn't like and deleting those files forces MySQL to recreate the InnoDB files. That's my understanding of the problem anyway, tho I'm still not entirely clear on why the issue arose in the first place.

Anyway, hope that helps somebody! :)

Users who are viewing this thread