X-BOX Media Streamer (XBMSP or XNS) Support (1 Viewer)

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    what would the advantage be?
    smb is the preffered method of sharing on both propgrams.

A

Anonymous

ok, here is an example, I have 4 drives on my storage server and 2 drives on another computer. Both hold video, audio and images which I want to access that on all 3 of my MediaPortal clients. It would be great to not have to map all the drives to my client systems. I could just point it at the XBMSP server and be done with it, no headaches with passwords or one of my kids "accidentally" deleting a video.

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    you do not need passwords
    and you can set a shared folder to not allow users to change the files.

A

Anonymous

this would be a cool feature, then we would be able to stream off of the tivo, and ones if they( don't already have it) .ty support we would be able to watch tivo'd stuff on media portal which would be really sweet.

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    if u can find the codec/directshow filter which plays these .TY files in Windows Media Player 9.... then horray...let all of us know...and something can be done about streaming support

A

Anonymous

I understand about the file permissions being read only (and do that myself, except on my client). I also aware that with DFS you can configure all network shares to goto a single share folder, but that is still messy. I would still have to map a drive and in that drive are folders of each of the share names From there I have to navigate to the right share to play the file I want. I would like something that I can access which merges the directories of multiple drives and makes the client think that it is a single drive with a single dir structure. From what I understand XBMSP or XNS can do this.

ex.

dir of D:\movies\Action\
    Matrix.avi
    Matrix Reloaded.avi

dir of E:\Movies\Action\
    Matrix Revolution.avi

a XBMSP or XNS listing of the Movies\Action folder:

Matrix.avi
    Matrix Reloaded.avi
    Matrix Revolution.avi

Azraelian

June 23, 2006
    I'm using XBMC to stream video via XBMSP over the Internet. For me, SMB *would* work but it'd require setting up a VPN. And, as far as I know, VPNs aren't very traffic efficient, nor is SMB when compared to XBMSP (which doubled up could mean a lot as Internet speeds vary).

I'm currently visiting the family over midsummer solstice, and with my xbox and its XBMC I can stream stuff from my server computer at home, some 1500 kilometres away. SMB might have done the trick just as good as CCX currently does had the server computer been in the local network (say, in the same house), but that's not the case for me, at least.

I really don't know how much work it'd take to write an XBMSP client plugin, but I do know I'd really, really appreciate one. :)

Users who are viewing this thread