You do not have permission to access this page!! (1 Viewer)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Personally I see it as a big problem that not all forums are open for registered users to view. Not really in the open source spirit ;)

I don't see any plausible explanation for it, so let's open up. Would also give coming-up contributers a fair chance to catch up with the current state of MP.

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/509623-post204.html

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Personally I see it as a big problem that not all forums are open for registered users to view. Not really in the open source spirit ;)

I don't see any plausible explanation for it, so let's open up. Would also give coming-up contributers a fair chance to catch up with the current state of MP.

Well, I only want to read, not write. That leaves the personal stuff as the only valid excuse ;)

So my suggestion: Keep the personal messages out of the forums or keep it on a level that everybody can read.

People can't really supply help or patches on bugs, as many of them are discussed in the closed section of the forum. How on earth do you wan't people to fix things that isn't discussed in public?

creativemind

October 27, 2009

Thanks for the link, it clears many things.
    Lot of "noise" would slip into the development discussion threads. Are we there yet? Are we there yet...
    That's the point, why a core developer should be worried about cleaning up threads / responding to noises or banning users! it's where less technical people/end-users can contribute. You're using vBulletin for your forums surely it has everything you need for this kind of stuff.

Apparently MP is not the only opensource project, things that you're worried about and issues you're mentoring are already discussed in thousands opensource projects out there. i'm sure you're user of many opensource softwares or perhaps a contributor as well. There are many successful opensource projects that allow very deep community involvement. why not follow their model and implement it for MP?

For example one of the great features of MP is its extensibility via plugins, more power to plugins leads to smaller core.
    For me finding a right plugin in MP is really difficult, some are outdated , sometimes a single plugin has various sources, sometimes i can's find any documentation and finally sometimes the plugin is simply outdated and it has no one to maintain. i remember some discussions about this issue in MP forums as well.
    For fixing this problem and giving more power to plugins for example Drupal.org offers a centralized repositories for all the contribute modules and asks contributors to release their code under GPL.
    It has many advantages ,1.users can easily find the module they want, and know where they can participate or find the information they about each module, 2.modules with user base never die because new developers can request administrators to make them new maintainer of the modules and continue from where the previous maintainer left. 3. Core developers have also much better view of contributions , so they can move popular plugins into the core or no so popular features out our of the core. 4. because all of the modules are stored in the same format and structure it's possible to add automated module update / installation , generate statistics or even provide thirdparty services (drupalmodules.org)

Patches/Code quality ? in Drupal atleast three people (+Automated testing system) should check and test the contributed patch , 1.The one who wrote it, 2. another user 3. module / core maintainer. Does everyone follow this rule? Most of the users do, few don't.
    Other projects like MP itself, release several Alpha,Beta,RC versions before the final release.
    etc

Organizing new features by the community? Ubuntu project generates new ideas out of forum discussions, and people vote to push their desire feature to the top of the list. Community is responsible for most of process.

Another example might be having a foundation?! Drupal, KDE, Python, etc

Correct me if i'm wrong but it's seems that you're not benefiting from Google Summer of Code. many opensource projects do, any their developers/users are really satisfied with the result.

These were just an example ofcourse , MP may not need this much complexity.

I'm a developer myself and know what you're talking about
    Happy to know that, it seems we are 3, here, for the moment. ;)
    but don't u think turning everyone away because some people act like that is not good for the future of MP?
    Yes, I suppose it's case for eventual new devs who would like to help.
    why make them silent users while they can contribute, atleast by reporting bugs or testing nightly builds.
    Well, users can already contribute and, they do it since long time by reporting bugs and testing weekly builds.
    Communication wasn't never the strength of the MP Team but, many progress has been done this way.
    Of course, it not perfect and, I suppose it could be improved but believe me, it's better than before. ;)

This is only my opinion, if a Team member want to answer...

Glad to know that. so we can hope to see it getting even better :)

Users who are viewing this thread