Zap2It Stopping Service (1 Viewer)

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    whurlston - I agree, screen scraping is a pain, the various companies like to change the screen layout which causes the scraper to fail and have to re-work the code to fix it. So any company (like Schedules Direct) that plans to supply even more info to the users for a very reasonable price turns out to be a great value.

ctgoodman

Portal Member
    May 30, 2006
    Salisbury, NC, USA
    Home Country
    whurlston - I agree, screen scraping is a pain, the various companies like to change the screen layout which causes the scraper to fail and have to re-work the code to fix it. So any company (like Schedules Direct) that plans to supply even more info to the users for a very reasonable price turns out to be a great value.

I must say I'd rather not scrape either. I may set it up initially. Right now I'm really short on time to keep up with this hobby (I really havn't touched the thing for like a year). I mean it just sat there and worked. I think I may have rebooted it a few times for some lock up or something.

On the other I'm really wanting to go Hi-Def which means a new encoder card and a more robust system. The Wife was not really happy about the lost guide and really wants to just get the Dish DVR which is becomming harder to convince her otherwise....

birdog

Portal Member
    September 10, 2007
    Home Country
    I finally wised up and just signed up for Schedules Direct. I didn't pay attention because I didn't realize it was a non-profit effort. I am playing around with alot PVR so it is just much easier to do it this way. Besides they already extended the time from 3 months to 6 months. They are wanting to get the price down to $20 per year, if allot more people sign up - who knows what they will get the cost down too.

PS - the earlier you sign up they are making the deals to those too and giving them extra free days so don't think by waiting you will get a better deal.

Jack_Ruby

Portal Member
    July 29, 2007
    Home Country
    I finally wised up and just signed up for Schedules Direct. I didn't pay attention because I didn't realize it was a non-profit effort. I am playing around with alot PVR so it is just much easier to do it this way. Besides they already extended the time from 3 months to 6 months. They are wanting to get the price down to $20 per year, if allot more people sign up - who knows what they will get the cost down too.

PS - the earlier you sign up they are making the deals to those too and giving them extra free days so don't think by waiting you will get a better deal.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of DIY DVR?
    If I wanted to pay a subscription fee to avoid hassle, I'd buy a GD TiVo.
    My wife keeps joking that'll be my birthday present: a Tivo... at least I hope it's a joke.

Seriously though. If Schedules Direct is nonprofit, then why not go whole hog and be tax exempt. Give people the service and solicit tax-deductible donations. Let the users decide what the service is worth.

Isn't that what MP does?

Paying for service will KILL many of the smaller DVR software projects. The whole purpose of this is to avoid M$ and avoid Tivo. This move makes all these DVR project just like M$ and Tivo- business operations that cost me money (that I don't have).

Game_dude

Portal Pro
    February 28, 2006
    Indiana
    Home Country
    I'd have to agree with Jack! I use to own a Tivo and had to pay around $5 bucks a month I think it was and Tivo was decent untill I discovered MP I moved there but only to discover I can't get a guide to work I tried the MCE grabber and it worked perfectly in Vista but I have reinstalled MCE (prefer that over Vista) and when downloading a list of providers I get an error report message :(

Game_dude

Portal Pro
    February 28, 2006
    Indiana
    Home Country
    Just says (MceEpgDownloader (2005 Edtion) has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. Its really stranage I instaledl the Vista version too same thing :(

PastorVor

Portal Member
    May 10, 2007
    Home Country
    Yahoo Go 4 TV no longer gets listings so YahooXMLTv will not work.
    You're serious? Sure enough, I have no listings!!! You mean I spent all of that time getting this bull crap running again and now it's gone again?

What's the final word here? I tried to look at Yahoo Go website and I found conflicting reports. One said that they were dead and one saying it was a temporary thing.

Son of a bitch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom