Codecs 23.976 HZ but it still judders (1 Viewer)

DragonQ

Portal Pro
August 30, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Blame the US and their crappy NTSC.

Have you tried using ReClock to change the framerate to 24 fps? The only downside to this is that the audio has to be resampled to keep it in sync but as you said your other alternative also has implications for the audio.

AndrePrins

Portal Member
February 21, 2012
Almere-Stad, Flevoland, Netherlands
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Thanks Holzi. In Dynamic refresh I set 23.976 to 23hz and I see that MP is chaning it to 23hz, but my Onkyo still shows 24 hz and I don't see an option in there to set the reciever to 23hz. Can you see in your Denon what it sends out to the TV? I've set the Rendere to EVR and I'm using ffdshow DXVA with hardware acc. enabled to DXVA native. Setting deinterlace enabled in ffdshow video decoder helps a bit, but I still see drops from time to time. Besides that I see a strange bottom line (something like it's scrambled). Last but not least I have issues with sending non DD or DTS audio through my AV receiver.
Oh yes, before I forget, when I set my TV to 24hz and play the same movie (I test with Avatar) It's 99.99% ok for h.264 movies.
I've installed the latest MP (1.2.2) and the lastest SAF (6.08). Any help would be great.

DragonQ

Portal Pro
August 30, 2011
Home Country
Personally I just use LAV Filters for video (CUVID mode but will probably switch to DXVA2 Native mode once a bug is fixed in the next version, since it uses less power) and ffdshow for audio. Absolutely no other codecs installed or needed!

However, my TV is quite accepting of 23.976 Hz signals, even the slightly tweaked ones I've made in the nVidia Control Panel to get it as close to true 23.976 Hz as possible (so far I've got 23.97580 Hz :D).

kilik360

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2010
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I do experience the same judder, even if I change my TV to 23hz or 24 hz, i do experience frame drop from time to time with 23.976 materials. It's the only PITA i have.

DragonQ

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2011
    Home Country
    "From time to time" is acceptable. For instance, at 23.9758 Hz I should theoretically get a repeated frame every 83 minutes (if my calculation method is correct). That is perfectly acceptable and probably no worse than a Blu-Ray player would output.

Crix1990's problem sounds much worse than this, with juddering playback all the time.

kilik360

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2010
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    DragonQ, when I say time to time, it's like every 2min .You said that you made a custom settings in Nvidia, can you share your setting with me. Can you do a print screen of your ''shift+1'' stats so i'll be able to compare with my custom setting results to. thanks

DragonQ

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2011
    Home Country
    It'll depend on the card and screen but basically you need to play with three settings:

- Refresh rate (around 23.976 Hz)
    - V-Sync (4 or 5)
    - V-Line (1124 ~ 1128)

I used MPC-HC with MadVR to see what frame rate this gave me (easier than using MediaPortal but both end up being the same).

kilik360

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2010
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Thanks DragonQ, your settings is close as mine. My MP stats says (display: 1920x1080 @ 23.975 meas. rfsh: 23.97615). Maybe my drop frame is related to something else. Because I do have drops/repeat frame even if my display is at 59.94hz.

DragonQ

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2011
    Home Country
    Strange. Do you really have it set to 23.945 or did you mean 23.975? The most important setting for me as the V-Sync - it's 5 by default but I couldn't really get near 23.976 Hz without changing it to 4. I also didn't have a lot of time to tweak so I may be able to get even closer in the future!

I'll try to remember to grab that Shift+1 screenshot for you tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread