8 Port sata? (1 Viewer)

whaase

Portal Member
January 20, 2008
Home Country
Canada Canada
Does anyone know of any 8 or 16 port Sata II cards for pci-e? Not raid, just a sata controller. I can find lots for pci-x, but that's old technology lol and my mobo doesn't have a x port.

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    The Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 card supports the following OSes: Windows 2003, Vista, Windows 2008, Linux: Redhat Enterprise, Fedora Linux 9 & SUSE Linux Enterprise

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Supermicro do them, although they use SFF-8087 cables instead of standard SATA ones, I don't know if this would be a problem.

Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Products | Accessories | Add-on Cards | AOC-SASLP-MV8

The Supermicro site shows it without the standard PCI bracket, but i believe it does come with one.

Wow this might be just what I', looking for. It's crazy to have to pay $400+ for a SATA-card when all I want is a vard for ZFS or WHS.

But Supermicro calls it a "Add-on Card" and that sort of frightens me. It makes it sound like you need some other card to get this to work. But that's not the case is it?

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    But Supermicro calls it a "Add-on Card" and that sort of frightens me. It makes it sound like you need some other card to get this to work. But that's not the case is it?
    Supermicro have geared themselves as more of a bare bones server vendor, rather than a motherboard and chassis manufacturer as they were before. So the "add in card" description comes from the fact it is intended as an add in for their systems. It is a standard card though, so it will work in other systems, just like other card will work in a Supermicro server. :)

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Great thank you :)

Even found myself a norwegian dealer of those cards so I won't have to shop from Ebay :p

AIstudio

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 27, 2007
    Blackpool
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Supermicro do them, although they use SFF-8087 cables instead of standard SATA ones, I don't know if this would be a problem.

Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Products | Accessories | Add-on Cards | AOC-SASLP-MV8

The Supermicro site shows it without the standard PCI bracket, but i believe it does come with one.

Sorry I have only just seen this thread.
    I have two of these cards in a server that I have just built. They do come with the full height brackets. They had the half height ones fitted and i just had to swap them over.
    Just make sure you get the right cables to connect your drives.
    I got 2 cables for each card. Mine required mini sas to 4x sata cables. There not cheap when you buy 4.
    These are the ones i used :)
    The cards work very well and I have no problems with throughput under heavy load so I am happy with them.

Regards

Kev

Users who are viewing this thread