Amazon Echo Skill - does one exist? (2 Viewers)

tomfrogger

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 1, 2006
    Trellech
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    I've been messing with home-assistant.io and it's emulated hue bridge along with some other home brew skills. It has harmony hub integration so you can already setup basic device commands but that would end up being pretty trying. 'Alexa turn on scroll down' and the list moves down one step.

What would be needed is a skill that can access probably the mp-extended back end to read the databases and understand 'Alexa ask MediaPortal to play ...' and then it appears on screen. Unfortunately I think it's quite bit of work.

CodeMonkey

Portal Pro
    December 8, 2004
    North America
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I have written a couple Alexa skills. I suspect having the proper WiFiRemote commands sent to MP would be very doable. You would just need to setup a port forward from the Amazon server to your MP computer in your router/firewall. I'm going to have a look.

Oh, that wifiremote seems to use that Apple Bonjour service, ugh. Hopefully MP can respond to simple HTTP commands like the Roku does

Last edited:
    J

joostzilla

Ideal would be two bindings for OpenHab. One through Wifiremote for control and one with MPextended for access to media.

for WifiRemote one can probably use
    TCP Binding · openhab/openhab1-addons Wiki · GitHub for sending commands or receiving data.
    For MPExtended one can use
    Http Binding · openhab/openhab1-addons Wiki · GitHub

Openhab has a dedicated skill for Alexa. That means that there is only the Alexa invocation word needed. So no more 'Alexa, ask bla bla bla to control bla bla bla'
    Just 'Alexa, do this or that'

Openhab would also give you tablet, phone or PC access to MediaPortal.

Unfortunately i know nothing about the technical side of this. But i am sure some smart guy can make this work.;):D

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

MP1 MP2 Volume property DE
    Thank you very much
    Thank you very much
    Good evening, Does anyone know if there is a Mediaportal property to report the current volume level as an integer? I have looked...
    Replies
    Views
    Well, thank you. Knowing that it is not the same Media Portal does help me, so I know I do not have to look into this any further. You are right, I think I just contact to Edision support next. Best regards
    Well, thank you. Knowing that it is not the same Media Portal does help me, so I know I do not have to look into this any further...
    Hi, I am new to this whole topic. I got a linux receiver Edision "OS nino+" and installed MediaPortal there. Unfortunately it does...
    Replies
    Views
    I avoid touching that system as long as it runs. Now that 2.4.1 seems to run again, I probably wait for the next issue.
    I avoid touching that system as long as it runs. Now that 2.4.1 seems to run again, I probably wait for the next issue.
    Hi, I have just upgraded from MP 2.2.2 to MP 2.4.1, and now the client won't start. I see the splash screen, and then it just...
    Replies
    Views
    It works perfect now. All channels have been found, even with the default tuning files. Thank you very much! (y) I'd love seing this change in MP 1.33! :)
    It works perfect now. All channels have been found, even with the default tuning files. Thank you very much! (y) I'd love seing...
    With my new hardware, Windows 11 and MP 1.32 the TV channel scan is not working anymore. The frequencies are scanned but no...
    Replies
    Views
    Hi, I'm wish to be able to watch the recorded TV (*.ts) files on my Sony Bravia Android TV but cannot. The default media player app does not support the file type. So I installed VLC. VLC does read the ts files but the TV's remote does not allow to control basic VLC functions like FF or FR or pause etc... Tried 1-2 other apps, even...
    Hi, I'm wish to be able to watch the recorded TV (*.ts) files on my Sony Bravia Android TV but cannot. The default media player...
    Hi, I'm wish to be able to watch the recorded TV (*.ts) files on my Sony Bravia Android TV but cannot. The default media player...
    Replies
    Views
    Top Bottom