Amazon Echo Skill - does one exist? (1 Viewer)

tomfrogger

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 1, 2006
    Trellech
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    Country flag
    I've been messing with home-assistant.io and it's emulated hue bridge along with some other home brew skills. It has harmony hub integration so you can already setup basic device commands but that would end up being pretty trying. 'Alexa turn on scroll down' and the list moves down one step.

What would be needed is a skill that can access probably the mp-extended back end to read the databases and understand 'Alexa ask MediaPortal to play ...' and then it appears on screen. Unfortunately I think it's quite bit of work.

CodeMonkey

Portal Pro
    December 8, 2004
    North America
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Country flag
    I have written a couple Alexa skills. I suspect having the proper WiFiRemote commands sent to MP would be very doable. You would just need to setup a port forward from the Amazon server to your MP computer in your router/firewall. I'm going to have a look.

Oh, that wifiremote seems to use that Apple Bonjour service, ugh. Hopefully MP can respond to simple HTTP commands like the Roku does

Last edited:

joostzilla

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 10, 2006
    Drunen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Ideal would be two bindings for OpenHab. One through Wifiremote for control and one with MPextended for access to media.

for WifiRemote one can probably use
    TCP Binding · openhab/openhab1-addons Wiki · GitHub for sending commands or receiving data.
    For MPExtended one can use
    Http Binding · openhab/openhab1-addons Wiki · GitHub

Openhab has a dedicated skill for Alexa. That means that there is only the Alexa invocation word needed. So no more 'Alexa, ask bla bla bla to control bla bla bla'
    Just 'Alexa, do this or that'

Openhab would also give you tablet, phone or PC access to MediaPortal.

Unfortunately i know nothing about the technical side of this. But i am sure some smart guy can make this work.;):D

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

That seems to do the trick. I played two episodes the past two days and both played to the end. Thank You for the tip (y)
    That seems to do the trick. I played two episodes the past two days and both played to the end. Thank You for the tip (y)
    Hi there, When watching Amazon Prime with the OnlineVideos-Plugin, my system goes to standby after 20 minutes or so. I suspect it...
    Replies
    Views
    And how do I get that context menue? When I pressed the right button on my mouse I get no menue for the setting of any user details?
    And how do I get that context menue? When I pressed the right button on my mouse I get no menue for the setting of any user details?
    Hi, I'm trying to use Amazon Prime, 4oD etc in the Online Videos plugin. Does anyone know where I can set my login details. When...
    Replies
    Views
    Digiguide looks sweet, but there doesn't seem to be a way of contacting them I'd be happy to pay for this, does anyone know if they provide an epg xml, that would be usable in MP1 ? I currently buy an actual magazine for planning my recordings. But this could actually kill two birds with one stone.
    Digiguide looks sweet, but there doesn't seem to be a way of contacting them I'd be happy to pay for this, does anyone know if they...
    Digiguide looks sweet, but there doesn't seem to be a way of contacting them I'd be happy to pay for this, does anyone know if they...
    Replies
    Views
    Yes. I guess we'll just have to wait for it to happen again. Tony
    Yes. I guess we'll just have to wait for it to happen again. Tony
    I'm trying to install MediaPortal 1.27 on a machine as a single seat installation but keep getting the following error dialog...
    Replies
    Views
    We are proud to present MediaPortal 2.3.2 MediaPortal 2.3.2 is a full-blown media center software that addresses the most common user requirements out of the box. Aside from its support for Live TV and Radio, it offers a complete media server for music, movies, and TV shows. Info is automatically downloaded from various sources to...
    We are proud to present MediaPortal 2.3.2 MediaPortal 2.3.2 is a full-blown media center software that addresses the most common...
    We are proud to present MediaPortal 2.3.2 MediaPortal 2.3.2 is a full-blown media center software that addresses the most common...
    Replies
    Views
    Top Bottom