an old maddening problem -- that's holding me back from upgrading (1 Viewer)

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    The Eset thing is a virus scanner - but its the best one i've seen - just want to check for hidden nastyness.
    SFC in the 'Run' box

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Are you using post-processing filters?

Finally, I would try installing the LAV filters.

Have you got MP set to restart on resume? Your logs are incomplete (do not contain MediaPortal.xml) I would definitely try increasing the delay on startup to 5 seconds.

First of all, we would need this to be reproducible with a clean install of MP

In one of the previous threads mentioned, I did a COMPLETE reinstall on WXp, SP3, all recommended 'upgrades' (which is probably the biggest misnomer in CS), and install MP. Problem recurred. As mentioned above, sometimes it 'goes away' for a while, but then returns.
    No post-processing.
    I deliberately tried to have a very straight-forward simple install -- using only codecs supplied with MP.
    Now set to restart on resume.
    MediaPortal.xml attached.

Attachments

• MediaPortal.xml
      42.2 KB

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country
    Did you install SAF too?
    If not I would :)
    If you're probing for my ignorance, you succeeded. What's SAF? And no, if it isn't part of the stock distribution, I didn't install it.

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    Just trying to ascertain what you have/haven't installed.
    SAF is a codec pack specifically designed for MediaPortal - get it here: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/saf-v6-based-on-lavf.95635/
    You'll need to PM Hoborg for the unlock key to get an unlocked version with everything in it.

Give it a go :)

#edit#
    Just had a thought too - can you try disabling any picture enhancements (video card drivers AND MP) and disable the dynamic refresh changer if you have it installed.

Test again...

Lotsofjazz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    See my system specs and user Info, I built by system in 2007 and start using Mediaportal end of 2007.. The motherboard was made when Win 7 was still on the drawing board, Vista was just out...So my hardware was mostly made for Win XP the only upgrade in hardware was the addition of a more capable Videocard, Chinese USB3.0 card, addition of a few external Harddrives for Media storage

But right now I run this same old hardware on Win 7 (Used Vista for a short while, but that was a bad idea!) and it seems to run very smoothly, much better then Win XP.. Mediaportal has improved meanwhile as well of course, but thinking about MP on Win XP of a few years back, and now MP on Win 7.. HUGE improvements are made!

So if you do not have really strong reasons, and as I read, yours seem only be emotional, I really would try Windows 7, if it works much better on my old machine, so why not on yours.

Lotsofjazz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I tried SAF, but I found it breaking in into my sytem too agressively, better to stick with just the codecs you need and get rid of all the ones you do not need.

Right now I use Cyberlink PDVD11 for TV and Video MPG2 and H264 and ffdshow Audio Decoder , and use Mediaportal Audio renderer, I tried the LAV decoder, but then I got weard sound on AC3 streams on TV channels. By applying the right tweaks in Mediaportal Audio Renderer I got finaly rid of the not so smooth playback of HD channels.

I do not record TV so much, and I always put my computer to sleep manually, and also wake it up from sleep manually.

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country
    Now set to restart on resume.

Well, this didn't have any effect either. Same old problem, so I turned the option back off.

btw, as someone asked me to do in one of the old threads, I checked that Windows Media player CAN play the recorded TV show .ts file when MP hangs up.

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country
    I rebuilt my htpc over the weekend and now I'm seeing this issue with 1.2.2 on windows 7. I've disabled standby for now until I find the cause. I'll keep you updated on this thread :)
    Just wondering if you've discovered anything. Thanks.

STuNZ

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 25, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Just curious if you have a Hauppauge Nova T 500 tuner card.
    I did and had a similar lockupup after resume until I put an 18 second delay into TV Server before detect tuner card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom