Answering Machine & fax Viewer? (1 Viewer)

A

Anonymous

Would if be possible to implement a Answering Machine and Faxviewer, by using a Analog or ISDN Modem?

Is it possible to use a remote control like the remote control from miscrosoft mediacenter?

mama

Portal Pro
May 31, 2004
Germany
Most won´t want them, because they shut down their HTPC if not needed. With these apps it must always be on.

For the remote it depends on what remote you have. There are several manuals here in the forum how to use i.e. the Terratec, Hauppauge and ATI remotes or how to setup Girder. Just use the search function.

A

Anonymous

just think about the future, someday you will come home from work, you will switch on your tv, and take a look to your mediaportal, would´nt be nice if you see with one look, you have 3 mails, 2calls from your girlfriend she leeve one message, and 1 fax and btw. the sun is shining ;)

mama

Portal Pro
May 31, 2004
Germany
And my wife would kill me if there was a call from my girlfriend on the HTPC... :D

Would be a nice feature tough, but I think most won´t want it. myHTPC had no plugin for this, GBPVR, Meedio, Sceneo also not.

johnbobjamesson

Portal Pro
June 17, 2004
Crailsheim
You are probably right with most people not wanting it - that's why answering machine software never really got through to main stream. However, a good ISDN card is capable of waking the computer on ring. Modems do that anyway, so you could hibernate or suspend your pc and still receive faxes and calls. I like the idea of this integration into the htpc a lot, but I don't think it should become integrated. Maybe someone good enough could write a plugin ?

J.

mama

Portal Pro
May 31, 2004
Germany
That would be fine as plugin with WOR. But there first have to be fixed the hibernation/standby issue, because at the moment it´s not built in in MP.

A

Anonymous

I do not understand why people are still asking for faxes and voicemail in this era. If you still need a fax there are dozens of free suppliers for fax2email. And voicemail in this mobile era is always on on your cell-phone.

just my 2 cents

mama

Portal Pro
May 31, 2004
Germany
As I have a home office, I need fax and answering machine. I don´t think I´ld use it on my HTPC, but there is still need for it, tough we are in the 21st centuary. Most of my customers are surprised (even today) if I tell them to fax me something on my cell phone...

johnbobjamesson

Portal Pro
June 17, 2004
Crailsheim
wierik said:
I do not understand why people are still asking for faxes and voicemail in this era. If you still need a fax there are dozens of free suppliers for fax2email.
just my 2 cents

Sure, if you want to tell your customers to either call a highly expensive phone number in order to send you a fax or in order to call a strange number (i.e. 180-something in Germany) to do so. It's quite strange to have a phone number on the one hand and a totally different fax number with different area codes on the other. That's what kept me from putting my fax2email gateway number on my letter head, for example. Simply doesn't look good.

Same applies to private numbers, by the way, at least to me.
J.

Users who are viewing this thread