ATI Catalysy 8.6 problem (2 Viewers)

risu

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 22, 2006
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Ok this is a problem..

just upgraded to HD4850 (UVD2+better gaming perf) from HD3850 and first drivers that are supposed to work with the card are 8.6 hotfix drivers. So I can't really use older cats.

I get absolutely no pic at all with HW accel or without it, tested video+audio codecs are PDVD7, ati and microsoft. WMR9 displays black screen with no sound. EVR just crashes. Using vista 32-bit.

vvulture

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    AMD have really lost the plot these days. The quality of their products, drivers, customer support etc.. is terrible.
    I posted on the AMD gaming forum a few weeks ago encouraging people to steer away from AMD/ATI products in an effort to wake them up regarding the rubbish they are selling these days.
    This thread just re-inforces my point. They are getting really bad these days and it is a real shame... i have followed them for 15 years or so until now..

This resulted in me being banned from their forum... Thats what happens when you speak the truth.

Anyway....

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    AMD have really lost the plot these days. The quality of their products, drivers, customer support etc.. is terrible.
    I posted on the AMD gaming forum a few weeks ago encouraging people to steer away from AMD/ATI products in an effort to wake them up regarding the rubbish they are selling these days.
    This thread just re-inforces my point. They are getting really bad these days and it is a real shame... i have followed them for 15 years or so until now..

Believe me the green isnt always greener on the other side :) Currently both Nvidia and ATI have been producing really bad quality drivers (for some longer time...) especially when it comes to Vista. All they are interested in is to make small speed tweaks into their drivers so that their flagship products are getting better benchmark results in the hardware reviews.

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    Unfortunatly from my own testing CATS8.6 and hotfix versions have realy serious problems with many older generation cards within the ATI/AMD range aswell.

You are not alone in this respect but you can't revert to a known good driver like most (have you tried CAT 8.5 to see if they recognise and instal on your new card)

If you played endless hours of 3dmark you would be happy though:eek:

I would expect another horfix driver within a week or even CATs 8.7 being released early in the next month.

I hope to see fixes then because these new drivers were just rushed IMO to get them to reviewers/previewers of the new NEXT GEN cards HD 4xxx just for benchmarking.

risu

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 22, 2006
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    8.5's allow themselves to install (go past device recognition) but once booted Vista display only unknown display device and no CCC is available. So no help there either.

Before I tried DNA modded 8.6 (0.3), with these MP wouldn't even start. With 8.6 and 8.6 hotfix behaviour was the same as described before, regardless of codecs (tried MPV too) or HW Accell.

I just tried 8.6 betas too, they recognize HD4850 but same behavior as with 8.6 and 8.6 hotfix so no solution yet for my problem.

I'll try next updating MP. I was hoping RC2 would be released soon but I'll try newest SVN now.

What comes to overall catalyst quality, I must say I've been pretty pleased where 8.x have been going untill 8.6 came out. I was dissappointed on 7.x (all of them).

risu

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 22, 2006
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Installed weekly svn from 22.6 and same behaviour.

I'm currently on 8.6 hotfix cats and they seem to work just fine otherwise, just MP doesn't like them.

I can use EVR, VMR9, DXVA with PowerDVD and MediaPlayer Classic Home Cinema. Windows Media Player seem to work just fine too.

On TVServer configuration I can use preview for TV-picture and it works alright (due different overlay?).

I just found out that this MP crashing only happens when I try to play back my .ts recordings or try to timeshift. If I select avi on mymovies, video plays back just fine..

risu

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 22, 2006
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    How can you tell that? I'm pretty sure I installed that 06-22 weekly build over my old MP installation, didn't uninstall old one first.

Anyways this is what's last on event.log:

"25.6.2008 12:16:36";"Application Error";"(100)";"Error";"Faulting application MediaPortal.exe, version 0.9.2.19453, time stamp 0x485e6aad, faulting module atiumdva.dll, version 7.14.10.191, time stamp 0x482b92f7, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00100450, process id 0x(null), application start time 0x .";"1000"

"25.6.2008 12:17:42";"Application Error";"(100)";"Error";"Faulting application MediaPortal.exe, version 0.9.2.19453, time stamp 0x485e6aad, faulting module atiumdva.dll, version 7.14.10.191, time stamp 0x482b92f7, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00100450, process id 0x(null), application start time 0x .";"1000"

risu

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 22, 2006
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Even newest Meedios SVN seem to work just fine.. only Mediaportal doesn't?

roe

Portal Member
    May 28, 2008
    Home Country
    Works fine for me Vista x64 ..no problem what so ever played back x264 video and divx and DVD

This resulted in me being banned from their forum... Thats what happens when you speak the truth.

Anyway....

Not in consumer best interest to have one player dominating the market, it's not the end of the world
    there are issues in every products....I still support AMD and ATI to keep the other bastards honest.

Users who are viewing this thread