BBC iPlayer Plugin (1 Viewer)

unitygain

Portal Member
January 28, 2007
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
boxee have it all incorporated into their programme great bbc iplayer interface to ...although thats all they really have going to ber honest ... well personally for me , its only in alpha i spose but the don't like the skin and thats a big selling point for me

Mew

Portal Pro
January 11, 2007
Hertfordshire
Home Country
England England
Hi adam_purkis

i know it seems like this can't be done, but just to put another request on it if it ever becomes possible i'd use it!! thx

I think it can be done as it has been done in C# for Vista Media Center (see TunerFree MCE.)

In fact if you look at the website, the plugin appears to be BBC iPlayer, Channel 4 Watch Online, ITV Player, Five Demand and HULU all rolled into one interface with background images.

As with many requests, it requires a C# developer (I assume based in the UK due to iPlayer restrictions) who wishes to use a lot of their spare time (and has an interest in) developing a MediaPortal version of the plugin.

Mew

wonkyd

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Hi adam_purkis

i know it seems like this can't be done, but just to put another request on it if it ever becomes possible i'd use it!! thx

I think it can be done as it has been done in C# for Vista Media Center (see TunerFree MCE.)

In fact if you look at the website, the plugin appears to be BBC iPlayer, Channel 4 Watch Online, ITV Player, Five Demand and HULU all rolled into one interface with background images.

As with many requests, it requires a C# developer (I assume based in the UK due to iPlayer restrictions) who wishes to use a lot of their spare time (and has an interest in) developing a MediaPortal version of the plugin.

Mew

It's all open source too SourceForge.net: TunerFree MCE

FoxForceFive

Portal Pro
    February 16, 2009
    Home Country
    If the Boxee team have managed it's obviously possible, so I'd assume it's only a matter of time before someone adapts their code to work for MP.

Simon_6162

March 8, 2009
    Hi all

I hadn't seen tunerFree till I saw this post, but I was thinking of hacking together a solution using mplayer, with get_iplayer. I think it should be fairly simple to use get_iplayer, to list all available shows via the myth xml file and then use it to download a show to a temp file that can then be played whilst downloading with mplayer. I'll try with the default medial portal player, but I'm not hopeful, but I know mplayer will work this way. Additionally the high quality flash files can also be streamed.

I've done a fair amount of programming but never touched C#, so if anyone else wants to try I'm more than happy to sit out, otherwise I'll make a start in a week or two after I move.

let me know if any one can see why this wouldn't work, or a neater solution.

Simon

happyf1sh

Portal Member
    August 26, 2007
    Home Country
    So,

I have started to look at this as a project as well as Simon_6162, but as I haven't ever programmed in anger this may take a while. Actually this project is just an excuse to learn some useful programming instead of just scripts.

So far I have hacked around with TunerFree and now a have a naff/basic plugin that can collect the latest program data at the push of a button. It seems that is the easy bit.:)

Now the UI bit. :eek:
    The interface for Tunerfree is in MCML - so I have to kinda learn a bit about that before I can convert. If anyone knows any cheats/pointers re: porting MCML stuff to mediaportal UI then that would be helpful.

Anyway, I'll pop back up in a couple of weeks if I get any further along.

Laters
    :D

adam_purkis

Portal Pro
    May 10, 2008
    Home Country
    So,

I have started to look at this as a project as well as Simon_6162, but as I haven't ever programmed in anger this may take a while. Actually this project is just an excuse to learn some useful programming instead of just scripts.

So far I have hacked around with TunerFree and now a have a naff/basic plugin that can collect the latest program data at the push of a button. It seems that is the easy bit.:)

Now the UI bit. :eek:
    The interface for Tunerfree is in MCML - so I have to kinda learn a bit about that before I can convert. If anyone knows any cheats/pointers re: porting MCML stuff to mediaportal UI then that would be helpful.

Anyway, I'll pop back up in a couple of weeks if I get any further along.

Laters
    :D

sounds like a positive start! good luck with everything, looking forward to see how it goes. can't help you though sorry

Users who are viewing this thread