Configuration for Moving Pictures keeps crashing (2 Viewers)

nokmond

Portal Pro
January 25, 2009
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
271 out of 453 done so far and not crashed yet. Lets hope this is it :D

Mine put 600+ movies into my db without a hitch so things are looking up! No media info but fforde will sort it i'm sure!:D

{{INX}}

Portal Member
November 20, 2008
392 done now!
I do not understand why mine seems to freeze up every couple of seconds then carries on as normal then freezes and so on. It makes the scan process long as where the old version sped through.

The freezing issue seems to be more with MP than moving pictures because i have noticed other plugins doing the same

nokmond

Portal Pro
January 25, 2009
Home Country
Just an update - my movies is working perfectly now with 'Automatically get media info' unchecked. However, I've noticed that when my 'TV Series' plugin is enabled I get the same problem - i.e when I start a film/tv series Mediaportal takes 5 - 10 mins before it plays. I'm pretty sure the fact that my media is stored on a seperate file server is causing problems somehow???

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    MediaInfo required at a minimal the header of the file in order to obtain all the relevant information (resolution, duraton, codec information, etc). This can lead to massive amounts of data that needs to be transferred on a large collection. When the transfer speed is slow and IOPs are terrible it can indeed result in big delays, because all those small ones eventually add up.

nokmond

Portal Pro
    January 25, 2009
    Home Country
    So It needs to get media info everytime you highlight something or only once whick it will then cache?

Do you know of anything I can try? My network is only a 100mbps at the minute but i'm upgrading to gigabit in the next couple of weeks.

Is there a way to disable media info on TV Series for a temperary fix?

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Your problem is most likely a combination of things, the log files in debug mode should reveal the problem.

I've got a mixture of local HDD, Gigabit LAN NAS and WiFi shares for the TV shows and on initial startup and after I delete a file there is a few second delay animation when it rescans all the folders, but it doesn't bother me much because navigation is usually still possible.

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Has anyone been able to narrow this down to a few or single movie in their library? I can take a look to see what is happening but need to be able to reproduce it.

I really don't this can be because of files on a network drive but I wont rule it out. Also if you scan all your movies after import does it lockup and fail from the first file?

nokmond

Portal Pro
    January 25, 2009
    Home Country
    Has anyone been able to narrow this down to a few or single movie in their library? I can take a look to see what is happening but need to be able to reproduce it.

I really don't this can be because of files on a network drive but I wont rule it out. Also if you scan all your movies after import does it lockup and fail from the first file?

I'll try and summize what happens on my system -

First of all, I have a file server running Windows 7 and 2 x HTPC's, 1 running W7, other running Xp.

In Moving Pictures I need to uncheck 'Automatically retrieve media info' otherwise it hangs during importing.

Then its a case of one or the other! I can either have Moving Pictures enabled OR TV Series, not both at the same time, otherwise Mediaportal just hangs when I try to play something.

The same thing happens on both of my systems and it has started happening since moving to a file server.

I've since tried XBMC and I don't experience any of these problems? (But I prefer Mediaportal so help!)

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Can someone experiencing this bug please perform the following steps to help me narrow down the problem?

Assumptions
    You have a working 1.0.1 or 1.0.2 Moving Pictures installation and you have automatic mediainfo retrieval disabled as detailed in an above post.

Steps
    1) Backup your database.
    2) Turn on debug logging.
    3) Start MediaPortal Configuration and enter the Moving Pictures config panel.
    4) Enable mediainfo retrieval.
    5) Exit the Moving Pictures configuration screen and reopen it.
    6) Wait for it to crash.
    7) Attach your logs here (movingpictures.log, mediaportal.log, and error.log).
    8) Restore your backed up database to return your setup to a working state.

This should at least give us a specific file that is causing the issue. I doubt I will be able to solve the problem by these log files alone, but it should be a step in the right direction. Thanks in advance for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom