[DIY] Selfmade AmbiLight using LED Strings (3 Viewers)

FunkyMunkey

Portal Member
December 4, 2008
Leeds
Home Country
England England
Excellent project, Lighting303. It has really got me thinking!

Is it possible to get the Sedu board in the UK, or at least get it sent to the UK from the German website you listed in your first post?

Or do I even need to bother... the Arduino board seems readily available over here. Am I right in thinking it isn't much different to set up?

Last edited:
B

BassFan

So auf den ersten Blick sehe ich jetzt nicht was da selbst gemacht ist von den Bohrungen mal abgesehen.
Die Wahl ein Aluminiumprofil dafür zu verwenden ist nicht die optimale Wahl da dieses das Licht zu sehr streut.
Ich hätte es brünieren lassen oder aber der kosten wegen zumindest schwarz matt lackiert.
Aufgrund der Streuung des Lichtes erkennt man nicht wirklich unterschiede bei den Farben.

Die Idee dahin gehend das du LED Strings verwendest ist gut gewählt so kann man mehr LEDs auch bei kleineren Monitoren verwenden.
OB man dann aber noch die Farben ausmachen kann wenn sie zu eng an einander gebunden sind mag dahin gestellt sein.
Habe das in der Realität noch nicht getestet.
Ein Kabelkanal um den Wirrwarr von Kabelsträngen zu bündeln würde mit Sicherheit deinem Projekt auch recht gut stehen.
Zudem sehe ich das die LEDs in Reihe geschaltet sind hoffe du hast genug vorrätig?
Sollte beim Ausfall einer LED dann einem Weihnachtsbaum gleich kommen eine aus alles aus, viel Spaß beim aufsuchen der defekten LED ;)
O, Oh sehe schon sind nicht wechselbar. (Flickerei angesagt wenn eine Defekt sein sollte)
Einzelansteuerung fällt dann schon mal grundsätzlich weg.

So ist erst mal mein gesamt Eindruck aufgrund der vorliegenden Bilder.

gruss

Last edited by a moderator:

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    Hey, Bassfan interested by Ambilight ;)
    for me, it's to have the corner, collate to the TV, for don't have space between led and TV. but this depend where is your TV, and if you can look the Left or Right side when you are in your living room, should be my case :cry:

B

BassFan

Hey, Bassfan interested by Ambilight ;)
    for me, it's to have the corner, collate to the TV, for don't have space between led and TV. but this depend where is your TV, and if you can look the Left or Right side when you are in your living room, should be my case :cry:

Only for Development my Monitor is to small for Ambilight. :cry:
    so i'm not work in the dark and wait for other tester (Hardware) do
    wanted to buy that..
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...-led-stripes-mit-64-leds.124439/#post-1061244
    to big for my Monitor :cry:

Ok is OT for this Thread should discuss on other place. ;)

greets

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    Only for Development my Monitor is to small for Ambilight. :cry:
    not why ???
    25 Led or 50 Led max you can.
    for Ambilight on TV side, the recommended space between leds is 3cm.
    your screen is 28 pouce.
    so approximately Top/bottom : 57cm and Left/Right : 35 cm
    so with 3cm: Top/bottom : 19 led x2 | Left/Right : 12 leds x 2 = 62 leds or 43Leds with Top Left Right

B

BassFan

yes 28''

what should i do with 19 LEDs on Top ?
    too Little to test visualizations ;)

Ok i will go out now.. is OT on this thread :)
    i will not have any Trouble with the thread starter @Lightning303

greets

Lightning303

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Excellent project, Lighting303. It has really got me thinking!

Is it possible to get the Sedu board in the UK, or at least get it sent to the UK from the German website you listed in your first post?

Or do I even need to bother... the Arduino board seems readily available over here. Am I right in thinking it isn't much different to set up?

Hi,
    i dont know if they ship to uk, but i would guess they are open to discuss this. Just write them an email. :)
    The difference to Arduino is, that the SEDU is ready for plug and play, the Arduino has to be flashed. Its not that complicated for somebody with a bit of technical knowledge. There also are tutorials for that.

So auf den ersten Blick sehe ich jetzt nicht was da selbst gemacht ist von den Bohrungen mal abgesehen.
    Die Wahl ein Aluminiumprofil dafür zu verwenden ist nicht die optimale Wahl da dieses das Licht zu sehr streut.
    Ich hätte es brünieren lassen oder aber der kosten wegen zumindest schwarz matt lackiert.
    Aufgrund der Streuung des Lichtes erkennt man nicht wirklich unterschiede bei den Farben.
    Die Idee dahin gehend das du LED Strings verwendest ist gut gewählt so kann man mehr LEDs auch bei kleineren Monitoren verwenden.
    OB man dann aber noch die Farben ausmachen kann wenn sie zu eng an einander gebunden sind mag dahin gestellt sein.
    Habe das in der Realität noch nicht getestet.
    Ein Kabelkanal um den Wirrwarr von Kabelsträngen zu bündeln würde mit Sicherheit deinem Projekt auch recht gut stehen.
    Zudem sehe ich das die LEDs in Reihe geschaltet sind hoffe du hast genug vorrätig?
    Sollte beim Ausfall einer LED dann einem Weihnachtsbaum gleich kommen eine aus alles aus, viel Spaß beim aufsuchen der defekten LED
    O, Oh sehe schon sind nicht wechselbar. (Flickerei angesagt wenn eine Defekt sein sollte)
    Einzelansteuerung fällt dann schon mal grundsätzlich weg.
    So ist erst mal mein gesamt Eindruck aufgrund der vorliegenden Bilder.
    gruss

Hey,
    please speak english in here, there allready are tons of german threads. My intension was to make a thread for everybody, not just germans.

Im sorry to rip your post apart, but honestly, mostly everything you write is not accurate at all.

I made the frame myself, i planed it in CAD software, i sawed it to the right lenght, and drilled the holes at the right places.
    Why do you think that using aluminum has anything to do with how the lights behave? Sure, the alu reflects a small percentage of the light that was reflected by my wall but thats not much. The light is scattered because the leds have a diffusor inbuild.
    I explained a few posts before, that you cant make out that much details in my system, because the space from the leds to my wall is ~18cm.
    The LEDs are not very close to each other... The are ~4,5cm apart from each other. A low cost LED stripe has 32 LEDs/m, that means they are 3,1cm apart. Higher cost stripes have 60 LEDs/m which means 1,6cm apart...
    Actually, the leds are not in connected in series, but the microcontrollers are. They get the digital RGB information, latch them, send the rest of the data on its way to the next LED (and microcontroller) and output an analog signal that powers the LED. And that is how ALL systems work. No matter if string or stripes. So, if one LED dies, the rest will still work.

Ok i will go out now.. is OT on this thread
    i will not have any Trouble with the thread starter @Lightning303
    No trouble at all, go ahead, you guys can discuss potential ambilight systems in here :).

Last edited:
    B

BassFan

My intension was to make a thread for everybody
    nicht alle beherrschen die englische Sprache so wie du
    das schließt mich jetzt aus nur weil ich in Deutsch schreibe?
    ok.. kein Problem

greets

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom