[DIY] Selfmade AmbiLight using LED Strings (3 Viewers)

FunkyMunkey

Portal Member
December 4, 2008
Leeds
Home Country
England England
Hi,
i dont know if they ship to uk, but i would guess they are open to discuss this. Just write them an email. :)
The difference to Arduino is, that the SEDU is ready for plug and play, the Arduino has to be flashed. Its not that complicated for somebody with a bit of technical knowledge. There also are tutorials for that.

Thanks, I'll send them a message :)

FunkyMunkey

Portal Member
December 4, 2008
Leeds
Home Country
England England
Hello again!

They do ship to the UK, but I think I will go with the Arduino because it's much cheaper.

Just a couple more questions, please: what are the dimensions of your TV, and how close to the edge of the TV is the aluminium frame? (it looks like approx 5cm).

Thanks!

Lightning303

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    They do ship to the UK
    Nice to know :)

Just a couple more questions, please: what are the dimensions of your TV, and how close to the edge of the TV is the aluminium frame? (it looks like approx 5cm).
    Its a 37" screen. Frame to edges is 6cm. When i planned my frame, and did the messurements, 800x500mm worked pretty well, and i took that. Now however, after doing it once and seeing the result i would be more precise next time. Its mostly not noticable, especially for anybody else than me, but sometimes i can see that the leds are not 100% perfectly aligned. So, if you are planning on building a frame aswell, i would recommend to messure the dimmensions of the actual screen, and take these dimensions for the frame. When choosing where to drill the holes, devide each side into areas. One area for each led and drill in the middle. That way, when the software devides the picture in areas, these are perfectly aligned with the areas on the frame, and as the leds sit exactly at that position, you will get the best result.

FunkyMunkey

Portal Member
    December 4, 2008
    Leeds
    Home Country
    England England
    Thanks for the info.

Is the reason that the LEDs aren't perfectly aligned because of the width of the bezel on your tv?

My current 40 inch has a similar width bezel, but for this project I was going to replace it with a Samsung UE46F6500, which has a very slim bezel, so I'm assuming I shouldn't have that problem.

Actually, my current tv appears to have died this week, so I have a good excuse to get started!

Lightning303

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    No, the bazel has nothing to do with it ;).

My frame is 800mm in width. My tv screen (only the screen where the picture is displayed) is 824mm. So when i designed mine, i thought, well lets go with 800mm, nice round numbers. I should have gone with exactly 824mm. And then spread the leds out equally. Now they dont line up 100% perfectly. Again, thats just a very minor thing, but it bugs me sometimes, that i didnt make it perfect ;p.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Guys, i've been searching the internet this afternoon for LED strips. ;)
    I noticed that the webshop that also sells the SEDU board, sells WS2812 LED strips with 30 LEDs/m, 5 meter roll for € 55,-.
    (But somehow i'm unable to add stuff to my shopping cart with Chrome & IE)

Has anybody experienced with 60 LEDs/m or is this too much?
    I ask because i just ran into this cheap WS2812B LED Strip:
    WS2812B.PNG

http://www.ledtuning.nl/shop/product/899/led-strip-ws2812-b/led-strip-ws2812b-digital-rgb-indoor-high-power-5v-60l-5050-ip20
    Boeehoeee :( The price if per meter instead of the 5 meter roll.

But still curious of 60 LEDs/m would be 'too much', since the price difference between 60 vs 30 LEDs/m isn't that big.

My TV is hooked to the wall, about 5 cm. space between back of TV & Wall, which means the LEDs will be pointed towards the wall.

And for the Dutch guys: I ran into a really nice site that explains differences, etc. Arduino project ;)
    http://www.tweaking4all.nl/hardware/arduino/arduino-ws2812-led/

Last edited:

Lightning303

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Guys, i've been searching the internet this afternoon for LED strips. ;)
    I noticed that the webshop that also sells the SEDU board, sells WS2812 LED strips with 30 LEDs/m, 5 meter roll for € 55,-.
    (But somehow i'm unable to add stuff to my shopping cart with Chrome & IE)

Has anybody experienced with 60 LEDs/m or is this too much?
    I ask because i just ran into this cheap WS2812B LED Strip:
    View attachment 145493
    http://www.ledtuning.nl/shop/product/899/led-strip-ws2812-b/led-strip-ws2812b-digital-rgb-indoor-high-power-5v-60l-5050-ip20
    Boeehoeee :( The price if per meter instead of the 5 meter roll.

But still curious of 60 LEDs/m would be 'too much', since the price difference between 60 vs 30 LEDs/m isn't that big.

My TV is hooked to the wall, about 5 cm. space between back of TV & Wall, which means the LEDs will be pointed towards the wall.

And for the Dutch guys: I ran into a really nice site that explains differences, etc. Arduino project ;)
    http://www.tweaking4all.nl/hardware/arduino/arduino-ws2812-led/

You want to use an Arduino right? Because the LEDs you linked wont work with the SEDU board. SEDU uses 4 ports (+5V, Gnd, Clk and Data) while the WS2812 LEDs use 3 Ports (+5V, Gnd, Data).

Are you somebody who has the best TV there is? The best audio system there is? If yes, i would go with 60 LEDs/m, otherwise i think 30 LEDs/m will suffice. =)

FunkyMunkey

Portal Member
    December 4, 2008
    Leeds
    Home Country
    England England
    No, the bazel has nothing to do with it ;).

My frame is 800mm in width. My tv screen (only the screen where the picture is displayed) is 824mm. So when i designed mine, i thought, well lets go with 800mm, nice round numbers. I should have gone with exactly 824mm. And then spread the leds out equally. Now they dont line up 100% perfectly. Again, thats just a very minor thing, but it bugs me sometimes, that i didnt make it perfect ;p.

Right, I see what you're saying. My only concern with doing that on a TV with such a narrow bezel is that if you're sitting slightly to the side of the TV, the ambilights might be too distracting!

Lightning303

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Right, I see what you're saying. My only concern with doing that on a TV with such a narrow bezel is that if you're sitting slightly to the side of the TV, the ambilights might be too distracting!

So, you are afraid that you see the frame? Yeah, could be a problem.
    My mother has a Samsung f6500, and its very nice and flat on the back, maybe led strips would be better. Also it seems that a frame might not even work with this type of tv. Never thought about that... Have a look at this picture:

Unbenannt.png

At the bottom where the stand is onnected, the plastic would interfere with the frame :(.

So if you really want to buy this tv, i would recommend led strips instead of strings and a frame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom