[solved] DVB/T2 HD Germany - Channelscan (1 Viewer)

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    For those who like to live life 'on the edge', I have patched TV Server (TVE3) and TV plugin to handle HEVC - the installers for MP 1.15 Client and TV Server are here - https://1drv.ms/f/s!Aj0xlmcWljmmjRx65ry6uXaReBUh - make sure you manually stop TV service before upgrading it.

WARNING - the HEVC support is untested (I can't test it since I don't have access to any HEVC broadcasts), but hopefully it will allow you to scan, view and record TV channels with HEVC video.

Use at your own risk !! Please report back any results from testing.

(The mods are based on the work that Vasilich and Seb did a while ago, so in theory it should work OK since they tested it at the time).

I gave it a quick try yesterday (had to have the HTPC back and running for the football;)) but had no luck, none of the test stations played just hung there for a while before comming back to the TV menu page but thereafter regular TV no longer had video just audio untill an MP restart. Will run more extensive testing/troubleshooting today but would like to know if anyone else has tried and what results they had with German DVBT.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Obviously I need the logs (both client and TV server) to comment on the situation properly, but in TV server did a channel scan find the new TV channels ?
    (as you tried to play them in the client I assume the answer is 'yes').

Yesterday's logs should still be around if you'd like to zip them up and post them :) (the client logs in particular).

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yesterday's logs should still be around if you'd like to zip them up and post them :) (the client logs in particular).

Actually no, I used a restore point to return things back to original.
    I will try again shortly, please note the test channels where already showing from a previous scan, I did not rescan with the new version which was installed using "upgrade current version". Should I have done a "Fresh Install"?

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country

Actually no, I used a restore point to return things back to original.
    I will try again shortly, please note the test channels where already showing from a previous scan, I did not rescan with the new version which was installed using "upgrade current version". Should I have done a "Fresh Install"?

The "upgrade current version" should be fine, but I think you need to re-scan the channels so TV Server detects the video part of the channel (so it knows it is a TV, not radio, channel). The standard TV server cannot detect HEVC video streams.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    OK I reinstalled with upgrade and rescanned. all 6 test channels still did not play, just were briefly identified , see screenshot, subsequently< regular TV still played OK, See first logs. I then tried with the HEVC haqrdware decoding checked(my GPU does NOT support HEVC but;)) in LAV and no Software Deinterlacing, regular TV looked horrible and an error came up when I tried an HD test channel. Then unchecked HEVC hardware decoding, regular TV was still horrible but when I tested BR Nord HD it displayed a picture, jerked further but then froze, all further attempts were unsucessfull as before. see 2nd log.
    I will try some more in windowed mode where I can monitor cpu load and get back to you if I find anything significant.
    hevc1.jpg

UPDATE: I tried with Lav hardware decoder set to none and was able to get several channels to play, still not 100% and very very jerky/frozen, CPU usage was OK though, max under 20% mostly under 10%.Often got an error on selection see additional screenshot.
    hevc2.jpg

Last edited:

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Looking at the Tv server logs, TV server can tune at least these HEVC channels:

BR Test SWR BW HD
    BR Test ARD alpha HD
    BR Test BR Fernsehen Nord HD

...so I think they are being transmitted, but TV Server seems to be waiting a long time for the PMT to be found in the stream sometimes, which I think is why TsReader is timing out (waiting for enough timeshift data to be available) and play then being stopped by MP client.

Can you make some short (10s - 30s) test recordings from the 'working' channels and upload them to Dropbox/OneDrive etc.so I can download them and check that they play OK ?

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Are you using VMR9 instead of EVR video renderer? Why?
    Good question, VMR9 was set at install, tried EVR but does not work at all. @Owlsroost Please can you confirm correct setting.

Looking at the Tv server logs, TV server can tune at least these HEVC channels:

BR Test SWR BW HD
    BR Test ARD alpha HD
    BR Test BR Fernsehen Nord HD

...so I think they are being transmitted, but TV Server seems to be waiting a long time for the PMT to be found in the stream sometimes, which I think is why TsReader is timing out (waiting for enough timeshift data to be available) and play then being stopped by MP client.
    Good to know that:)

Can you make some short (10s - 30s) test recordings from the 'working' channels and upload them to Dropbox/OneDrive etc.so I can download them and check that they play OK ?
    Will give it a try but getting any playback is not easy let alone getting a recording.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Good question, VMR9 was set at install, tried EVR but does not work at all. @Owlsroost Please can you confirm correct setting.

It should always be EVR for Windows Vista and later, so yes definitely EVR for Windows 10.

What do you mean by 'EVR does not work at all' - does any video play in MP client ?

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @Owlsroost OK I have a recording of approx 6MB, very short though actual time to record was about a minute before it froze up completely. Please let me know where you want it uploaded too.
    UPDATE:
    Sorry ref. EVR but playback is so intermiitent, as per first logs, that it looked like it was not working at all, subsequently I have tried again with EVR set and got it to play, still very very jerky video and audio. 2nd recording about 5MB now available.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom