Encrypted FLV streams (1 Viewer)

wizard123

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Is there a official word on wether the encryption issue will be sorted in a pending update or not ? renders the plugin pointless for me at the moment.

Thanks

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Nice, you are asking the people giving their spare time, doing open source without any pay, for an "official word" when they are finally going to support encrypted streams (I judge your "renders useless" as rant) - but I bet you haven't written a single mail to the content provider which is encrypting their streams and not offering means of playback in a HTPC environment asking them to use free to play streams. You simply accept their doing - and expect us to do extra work for fun?

wizard123

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2012
    Home Country
    It was neither a "rant" or complaint it was a simple question to the developers of the plugin asking if there may be a pending update which will address the encryption issue. A simple yes or no question not requiring you to take it personally and accuse me of ranting ! As a user of the plugin i simply wanted to know if the functionality will return in an update or whether i need to look at alternatives as i have seen no answer to this anywhere else.

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Your question is not specific enough. OnlineVideos already supports encrypted flv streams. So unless you decide to tell us what site/video is not working and/or attach logs, you will have to look for an alternative.

wizard123

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2012
    Home Country
    Ok DRM encrypted flv streams like 4od and demand 5, i'm assuming that is why they do not work trying to stream newer content ?

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    We cannot break DRM protection(and will not, as it is illegal). And we cannot play DRM protected content, because the content provider has restricted playback to their means (in this case a specific flash swf file inside a webpage).

wizard123

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2012
    Home Country
    That's fine thank you i just wanted to check whether those channels would function again or not in future, will you be going the same way as the xbmc plugin and streaming the content from youtube if its not available via the site ?

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    As I am not the maintainer of the site I cannot answer that, but I am sure @Brownard is going to do so. You might want to check the corresponding threads for those sites.

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    Yes both demand5 and 4od have started using drm/encryption for their new content making it unplayable - I've updated 4od to search youtube for the video if it can't play the video directly. This works reasonably well but keep in mind that it may take a couple of extra days for videos to be uploaded to youtube and there is no US content.

Users who are viewing this thread