Flickering Tv-guide and other overlays with EVR enabled (1 Viewer)

Eabin

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Pom: this is an age-old problem which we could never identify the cause of. everyone would like to see it fixed, and a few members of the team have invested a significant amount of time trying to fix it. unfortunately without any success :(

i cannot confirm the not-powerful-enough theory, because the max utilization of my 2600XT is about 50% when the flickering occurs. but you brought up one interesting thing: when displaying the debug graphs over the video, i see that it only flickers when the graphs "go wild" and the video lags behind. but to me it seems the reason for this is the gui-rendering not being fast enough (i.e. when loading the next page of the EPG). this leads to a few frames not being drawn in time, and when evr is trying to catch up, the flickering occurs.....hmmm....need to resist the temptation of setting up a development environment again...

Pom

Portal Pro
    August 10, 2006
    Gloucester
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Grubi - i don't think it's a dropped frames/stutter issue (i can't check this easily whilst the guide is showing and the TV is reduced to the small window in the corner). I do get a low number of dropped frames during HD TV playback (only with EVR enabled, zero dropped frames with VMR9 enabled), but this can't be noticed as a drop in quality.

Nevermind, i'm in the same boat as several others and it's not a big problem to live with for now.

Cheers all,
    Lee

mironicus

Portal Pro
    March 9, 2008
    AW: Flickering Tv-guide and other overlays with EVR enabled

The problem (for ATI-users) can be solved if you use the right decoder:

- a non DXVA-enabled MPEG2-decoder with forced bob deinterlacing (FFDShow)
    - using PowerDVD 9/10 combined MPEG2/VC-1/H264 decoder

Pom

Portal Pro
    August 10, 2006
    Gloucester
    Home Country
    Looks like i've fixed it now. I was using DJBlu's modified TSWriter.ax file (for Freesat / Sky UK EPG grabbing), but i found out today that i didn't need to be using it and since reverting back to the 'proper' TSWriter, no more flickering!

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Looks like i've fixed it now. I was using DJBlu's modified TSWriter.ax file (for Freesat / Sky UK EPG grabbing), but i found out today that i didn't need to be using it and since reverting back to the 'proper' TSWriter no more flickering!

Sorry to inform bu the TsWriter is not part of the rendering -> not possible that it affects it in any way (unless it spends more or less CPU time and that changes the timings a bit so the issue is just not happening).

Just wait and the issue will be back as suddenly as it was gone :D

Pom

Portal Pro
    August 10, 2006
    Gloucester
    Home Country
    You're indeed right tourettes - problem has NOT gone!

Looking at the EVR log it seems loads of frames are dropped when i first tune to an HD channel (because video lagging audio(?) by up to 30ms). I see this also when i do "!" command on full-screen TV. However when in full-screen TV i don't see the effects of dropped frames, and also as time goes on, the # of dropped frames gradually reduces (not sure why?)

So i think that if i've left the HD channel running for a while (and dropped frames are therefore low) then i won't see a flickering guide - watch this space!

EDIT: Didn't work - using "!"" shows only a few dropped frames when in full-scren TV. As soon as an OSD is activated - dropped frames goes mad!! It just carries on ramping up into the hundreds and this is what causes theh flickering. Don't know why it didn't do it the other day, not sure what the trigger is...

PS. Are there any tips on reducing dropped frames with EVR enabled? I had zero dropped frames on HD channels when had VMR9 selected - albeit the playback was a bit stuttery with fast camera pan (e.g. football matches).

Thanks

Pom

Portal Pro
    August 10, 2006
    Gloucester
    Home Country
    I'll shut up about this now - i can see that the problem is logged in Mantis and i'm not the only one experiencing it. Just to say that it certainly looks like in my case, frames start getting dropped like mad as soon as an OSD is displayed e.g. Now/Next or Guide.

grubi

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Flickering Tv-guide and other overlays with EVR enabled

Hi.

Today I changed my HD2600XT passive to a HD5570 passive and now the flickering is completely gone.
    So it seems not to be only a driver problem as I did not change the driver (Catalyst 10.6 in both cases).

BTW the HIS 5570 low profile passive seems to be a nice card.

Cheers.

Pom

Portal Pro
    August 10, 2006
    Gloucester
    Home Country
    Have cured my flickering for the time being by using the 'Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder' (comes with Windows 7/WMP) as my h.264 decoder (picture quality better than PowerDVD IMHO also!)

Libra

Portal Member
    August 11, 2010
    Moscow
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    Re: AW: Flickering Tv-guide and other overlays with EVR enabled

Hi.
    Today I changed my HD2600XT passive to a HD5570 passive and now the flickering is completely gone.
    +1.
    I confirm that the replacement onboard video (HD4200) to discrete card Sapphire HD56700 also solves the problem!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom