Flickering Tv-guide and other overlays with EVR enabled (1 Viewer)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Re: AW: Flickering Tv-guide and other overlays with EVR enabled

Some interesting thing: If I switch through sd-channels I can see the last frame of the previous selected channel in fullscreen mode. It goes black again after the new channel is running. I have started debug mode and here are some logs.

Also: Selecting VMR9 within Mediaportal SD-TV works in fullscreen.

Could you please test attached DLL? It changes the D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8 to D3DFMT_A8R8G8B8 for the video surface. Looks like broken ATI drivers to me, but cannot be sure. At least for ronilse it did fix the issue :)

mironicus

Portal Pro
    March 9, 2008
    AW: Flickering Tv-guide and other overlays with EVR enabled

That seems to go into the right direction. With this dll I can watch TV and videos in full screen, but only with codecs that don't use DXVA. So if I use FFDShow as MPEG2-filter it works, if I use PowerDVD9-filter Mediaportal crashes instantly. See the logs.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Re: AW: Flickering Tv-guide and other overlays with EVR enabled

That seems to go into the right direction. With this dll I can watch TV and videos in full screen, but only with codecs that don't use DXVA. So if I use FFDShow as MPEG2-filter it works, if I use PowerDVD9-filter Mediaportal crashes instantly. See the logs.

Yep, noticed the same thing with our internal testing. Too bad that ATI's drivers are such poor in quality. The crash ahppens inside AVIVO HW decoding DLL.

mironicus

Portal Pro
    March 9, 2008

Are there other video surface outputs that could be tested? I'd like to learn more about this. Which output is used with the ATI hack enabled? Does the gpu driver chooses the right output itself with the hack enabled?

grubi

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Did anyone post the issues to ATI's Catalyst Crew Feedback?
    Maybe we all should post a report to them with a link to this thread, and inform them that MePo team thinks about dropping ATI support alltogehter, because of the poor quality of their drivers.

Don't get me wrong, I'm also at ATI land but if things are that problematic I personally would encourage the team to remove all the ATI specific hacks to get a clean codebase again. I then would throw that crap out of the window and buy an Nvidia card.

Just my two cents.
    grubi.

mironicus

Portal Pro
    March 9, 2008

Well, after the report about the slow 2D performance on Tomshardware.com and the released 2D-benchmark, ATI has already fixed that problem in the latest 10.3 Preview-driver (the benchmark goes up from 1000 to 1900 points). They also promised to address some problems with DVB S2-H264-plackback and error correction. I think even ATI will understand how important a software like Mediaportal is, and that users will always choose the hardware with the least problems.

grubi

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Well, after the report about the slow 2D performance on Tomshardware.com and the released 2D-benchmark, ATI has already fixed that problem in the latest 10.3 Preview-driver (the benchmark goes up from 1000 to 1900 points). They also promised to address some problems with DVB S2-H264-plackback and error correction. I think even ATI will understand how important a software like Mediaportal is, and that users will always choose the hardware with the least problems.

That was the reason I asked if it would make sense that as many people as possible post a report to Catalyst Crew Feedback containing a link to this thread.

4irm

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: Flickering Tv-guide and other overlays with EVR enabled

Hi there,

Your file does not contain a new dshowhelper - but fontengine.dll file???

Thanks,

J.

Oh, my bad. One DLL was missing. Now all three are included in this attachement.

regarding the sdtv black screen issue...

I' ve testet the new libaries. dsshowhelper etc. they cause a crash on my system. I get audio only for a few seconds before mp crashes. (win7 x64, HD5450). I am not at home so i cant provide any logs right now.

regards...

Pom

Portal Pro
    August 10, 2006
    Gloucester
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi - i have the problem of flickering skin with EVR enabled. Haven't had the time to read this full thread but i've seen some references to ATI cards/drivers. I can confirm it's not an ATI problem as i'm using NVIDIA (see system spec.).

The problem only happens for me if i tune to an HD channel then go to the guide - then it flickers. If i tune to a non-HD channel then go to the guide, it DOES NOT happen.

I've seen this problem in the Mantis bug list - is there any plans to fix it before MP1.1.0 final is released? Seems like too serious a problem to ignore for such an important release...

grubi

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Pom:

From my experience this indicates that the garphic card used is not powerful enough to display the overlays combined with hres video. Do you see any stutter/framedrops when the flickering occurs?

grubi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom