Guide: Perfect playback & Display calibration (1 Viewer)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Enable LAV Mixing, Stereo Output. Center Level = 0.7 , Surround = 0.7 , LFE = 0.0
    Thank you for this; it solved problems with two different sources:

(1) Very low volume level on a DVB-T2 HD drama series ("Wizards and Aliens").
    (2) Very low volume level on a DVD boxed set ("Battlestar Galactica" remake).

Conclusion: multi-channel sound does not play well on stereo equipment unless an appropriate mix-down is used!

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Peterpack

Portal Member
    April 21, 2010
    Home Country
    Great guide :)

Is it normal when using MPAR for it to always to show as PCM on your AV Receiver even when playing movies with DTS/DD 5.1 etc ?

If so, why is this ?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Is it normal when using MPAR for it to always to show as PCM on your AV Receiver even when playing movies with DTS/DD 5.1 etc ?
    If so, why is this ?
    Yes it is normal, because the audio is not bitstreamed. The audio is decoded by the codec and delivered to the receiver as PCM.

Peterpack

Portal Member
    April 21, 2010
    Home Country
    If so, why is this ?
    Yes it is normal, because the audio is not bitstreamed. The audio is decoded by the codec and delivered to the receiver as PCM.

thanks for the quick reply :) and i'm definitely getting proper DTS/DD quality audio to my receiver as PCM ? As good as if it were Bitstreamed ?

Sorry for the questions, i just spent a fair bit of money (for me) on a new receiver and have a new speaker package on it's way, i just want to ensure i'm getting the best audio for my new equipment :)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    and i'm definitely getting proper DTS/DD quality audio to my receiver as PCM ? As good as if it were Bitstreamed ?
    Yes. The main difference between the two scenarios is where the audio is being decoded. In one case (non-bitstreaming) the codec on the PC is doing it; in the other case (bitstreaming) the receiver is doing it. The fact that the receiver is receiving PCM doesn't mean you're losing quality.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Noticed something strange.

MPAR doesn't work with AAC stereo videos, eg. trailers via the trailers plugin or online videos.

If I set audio renderer to HDMI then audio works. If I set audio renderer to MPAR then I get no audio.

I have tried with both LAV and windows AAC codec and I get the same result.

The wierd thing is. that I'm sure that it used to work ages ago. Can anyone confirm this problem? I'm using audio over HDMI and my audio is to my secondary display (AVR) and my primary display is for video (my tv)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    ^ so this issue seems to be a bit intermittent, and I think the fault may actually be to do with windows or my display drvers hdmi audio driver. I've since switched to using onboard gpu and video running through the avr, rather than as a second display. Problem seems to be sorted currently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom