Haali not disposed after stopping video (3 Viewers)

mediortal

Portal Member
July 28, 2009
I was about to update MP, and saf today, but before I do, I'd like to say that this happened for me last night too.

You can see my system on left.

I have MP 1.02 (no tv-server) and SAF347 installed.
Also the latest Haali (1.9.42.1), with AVI/MPG ticked, and Thumbnail/explorer options Unchecked.
The codecs are set up as in the saf guide, no cyberlink, just MPC.

MPC-HC v1.2.1230.0, with source filters "AVI", "Matroska, "MP4/MOV" and "MPEG PS/TS/PVA" all UNchecked, and using vmr9 renderless.

Any 720p mkv file or MPEG2/avi ect (dvxa and non dvxa) played fine in both mpc-hc and MP, with Haali Icon closing when the video was closed.
Even though MP was still using roughly 120-200MB, which I thought was a bit high?

Then, the only thing I remember doing after this, was I updated my ATI drivers from 9.1 to 9.8

Now whenever I play a video in MP that uses Haali (mkv, avi, mpg etc), the Icon does not close when the video closes.
I played 9 different videos in MP, and 9 haali icons remained in the tray, and MP was now using roughly 300-500MB memory!

Playing the videos in MPC_HC still work normally, and the icons close.

I dont want to revert back to ati 9.1 to test, but I am later going to update both MP and saf anyway, so I will see if this changes anything.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    you can fix the ffdshow program, set it to limit itself to 1xcopy running at anytime.

EDIT: non-curative, symptomatic paliation of the multiple ffdshow instances problem =)

robyf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Bolzano
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    I was about to update MP, and saf today, but before I do, I'd like to say that this happened for me last night too.

Any 720p mkv file or MPEG2/avi ect (dvxa and non dvxa) played fine in both mpc-hc and MP, with Haali Icon closing when the video was closed.
    Even though MP was still using roughly 120-200MB, which I thought was a bit high?

Then, the only thing I remember doing after this, was I updated my ATI drivers from 9.1 to 9.8

Now whenever I play a video in MP that uses Haali (mkv, avi, mpg etc), the Icon does not close when the video closes.
    I played 9 different videos in MP, and 9 haali icons remained in the tray, and MP was now using roughly 300-500MB memory!

Thanks I think I will try with an older version of the drives (9.1). Shouldn't make difference with my configuration ATI 3450. I have to check if the windows 7 9.1 drivers are available...

I have to try with 9.3 version with windows 7... I will try 9.1 under xp though 'cause I have the problem there too...

Did you turn off explorer extensions/integration when installing haali? It's flaky and usually the cause of these issues.

Obviously yes, I've tried thousand of configurations...

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    you can fix the ffdshow program, set it to limit itself to 1xcopy running at anytime.

That is not a solution, FFDshow is software only, no DXVA...

Also it would just most likely hide the actual issue (i.e. directshow graph left open) and it will have severe side effects (one is that quartz.dll is only allowing 21 open graphs per process so video playback would fail in MP after 21 played videos).

robyf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Bolzano
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    I've tried catalyst drivers 9.1 under XP and the problem is still there, unfortunately...

mediortal

Portal Member
    July 28, 2009
    I've tried catalyst drivers 9.1 under XP and the problem is still there, unfortunately...

Unfortunately it seems like that, I didn't roll back to 9.1, but I installed MP1.1a + latest SAF on a different pc, which has an ati3400 and the 8.9 cat drivers.
    It also happened there, I updated that pc also to 9.8, and it still occurred.

As you pointed out earlier, it seems I can only recreate the problem in one way, and that is the combination of haali+MP+H264 files+ DXVA activated.

If I turn off dxva with the reg file included with SAF, although it uses much more cpu, the haali icons close, and there is no accumulation of memory use.
    Turn DVXA back on, and the haali icons remain, and the memory use climbs with each h264 file, I'm sure it can easily go past 500MB if you keep on opening videos.

With HDTV MPEG2 files , MP uses the pdvd decoder, and with DVXA activated, this does not cause any memory use accumulation.

So is there any solution to this?
    Is it just haali splitter, a h264 DVXA problem, or both?
    Would another splitter or different h264 dvxa codec make any difference?
    I don't have the cyberlink pdvd decoder option for h264 in MP to even try.

None of this occurs in the MPC-HC player, it works fine.

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    I asked "sub" (developer of GB-PVR wich do not have haali problem) what he thinks about it, here is his answer:

GB-PVR isnt doing anything special to avoid this happening and doesnt have this problem.

To me it sounds like MP has a reference counting problem on its graph (ie, not called xxxxx->Release() on some component, which ends up still having a reference), causing directshow not to try destroying the graph, leaving Haali hanging around in memory. These sorts of things can be hard to track down, since it could be pretty much anywhere in the graph (for example, some interface on a subtitle filter). If I ever have these sorts of things happen, I usually have to start commenting stuff out to see when it starts working again, and then work from there to find the exact cause.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom