Haali not disposed after stopping video (1 Viewer)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I asked "sub" (developer of GB-PVR wich do not have haali problem) what he thinks about it, here is his answer:

GB-PVR isnt doing anything special to avoid this happening and doesnt have this problem.

To me it sounds like MP has a reference counting problem on its graph (ie, not called xxxxx->Release() on some component, which ends up still having a reference), causing directshow not to try destroying the graph, leaving Haali hanging around in memory. These sorts of things can be hard to track down, since it could be pretty much anywhere in the graph (for example, some interface on a subtitle filter). If I ever have these sorts of things happen, I usually have to start commenting stuff out to see when it starts working again, and then work from there to find the exact cause.

Unfortunately that won't still explain the fact that without the DXVA the graph is cleaned up properly. As far as I know there is no difference in MP side when DXVA is used and when not.

robyf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Bolzano
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    I asked "sub" (developer of GB-PVR wich do not have haali problem) what he thinks about it, here is his answer:

GB-PVR isnt doing anything special to avoid this happening and doesnt have this problem.

To me it sounds like MP has a reference counting problem on its graph (ie, not called xxxxx->Release() on some component, which ends up still having a reference), causing directshow not to try destroying the graph, leaving Haali hanging around in memory. These sorts of things can be hard to track down, since it could be pretty much anywhere in the graph (for example, some interface on a subtitle filter). If I ever have these sorts of things happen, I usually have to start commenting stuff out to see when it starts working again, and then work from there to find the exact cause.

Unfortunately that won't still explain the fact that without the DXVA the graph is cleaned up properly. As far as I know there is no difference in MP side when DXVA is used and when not.

And it also does not explain why it happens only with MPC-HC codec (at least to me).

By the way new fresh install of windows 7 RTM with MP 1.1 beta and the problem is still there...

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    Everyone keeps mentioning Haali 1.9.42.1 as the latest version when it isn't. He's released 1.9.63.13 on doom9.org.

Doom9's Forum - View Single Post - Alternative Matroska Splitter

PS) I have an ATI 4670 and run the latest mpc video decoder in dxva mode and don't have the issue.

...and did you enable Haali icon?

BTW, i think the problem may be hidden in how MP open video files.
    You can notice - when opening file in MP, that haali icon apear, then disapear and reapear again, sometime two icons on same time (?!?). It looks like MP build graph, then close it an rebuild it again. I didnt see similar "problem" anywhere outside MP. Maybe this is trigerring haali + MPC HC DXVA "bug"...

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Everyone keeps mentioning Haali 1.9.42.1 as the latest version when it isn't. He's released 1.9.63.13 on doom9.org.

PS) I have an ATI 4670 and run the latest mpc video decoder in dxva mode and don't have the issue.

You can notice - when opening file in MP, that haali icon apear, then disapear and reapear again, sometime two icons on same time (?!?). It looks like MP build graph, then close it an rebuild it again. I didnt see similar "problem" anywhere outside MP. Maybe this is trigerring haali + MPC HC DXVA "bug"...

It could be the thumbnail generation that uses haali? Please disable the thumbnail generation to see if that is causing the double icons to show.

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    It could be the thumbnail generation that uses haali? Please disable the thumbnail generation to see if that is causing the double icons to show.

tourettes, thumbnail extraction is disabled by default, i newer enabled it.

Oh, or you mean thumbnail generation in MP? Will try it.

Dr Tone

Portal Pro
    October 29, 2008
    Calgary, AB
    Home Country
    Canada Canada

Yes Haali icon is on. I started muliple mkv files while monitoring my taskbar and only one haali icon shows as each file is played and it closes appropriately when stopping playback.

robyf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Bolzano
    Home Country
    Italy Italy

I've also tried to disable thumbnail generation in MP (a couple of weeks ago, when I've tried anything I can to troubleshoot the problem) and the problem is still there...

Yes Haali icon is on. I started muliple mkv files while monitoring my taskbar and only one haali icon shows as each file is played and it closes appropriately when stopping playback.

May I ask you to describe your system (hardware and codecs you use, mediaportal version, and so on)? This will help in debugging the problem...

By the way the new version of haali 1.9.63.13 does not solve the problem in my configuration...

Thanks

ChefChoco

September 1, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Registered today (but been a MP user for over a year) to mention that i am facing the same problem as well.
    Installed the latest SAF on Windows 7 with the latest (tried others as well) MP beta.
    DXVA enabled: can only play one MKV within MP
    DXVA disabled: no problem

Same setup on Windows XP --> Multiple instances of Haali visible on tray BUT can play more then one MKV's in MP.

I am using a: MA780G (Ati HD3200)

Another thing: If I use the default Microsoft filter there's no problem (not the MPC one)

robyf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Bolzano
    Home Country
    Italy Italy

I've also tried to disable thumbnail generation in MP (a couple of weeks ago, when I've tried anything I can to troubleshoot the problem) and the problem is still there...

May I ask you to describe your system (hardware and codecs you use, mediaportal version, and so on)? This will help in debugging the problem...

By the way the new version of haali 1.9.63.13 does not solve the problem in my configuration...

Thanks

Edit: I have the suspect is has something to do with the minidisplay plugin... I will try to disable it tonight and see if the problem is still there...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom