How to use the current SVN version? (1 Viewer)

markus_g

Portal Pro
August 12, 2006
Home Country
Australia Australia
Hello,

Hopefully someone can help.

I have download the SVN and compiled it and can run the server and client. I am wondering how I now attatch the client to the server?

Regards,

Markus

Albert

MP2 Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 18, 2008
    Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: How to use the current SVN version?

Hi markus_g,
    in MediaPortal 2, we use the UPnP protocol for communication between client and server. In a LAN, the client should find the server automatically and display a dialog box which says something like "Found MediaPortal 2 server, would you like to attach to it?".
    If both components are started in the same LAN, it should work. If the client doesn't find the server, either the network is not configured correctly (maybe the switch doesn't forward the UPnP packets), the network is overloaded (the UDP packets drop away) or something else is wrong. If you don't get it running, please tell me your network configuration.

Quarter

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 21, 2010
    Queenstown
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi I haven't been able to download a complete SVN file I keep getting booted at the last stages, I'm sure there will be a trick can you let me know, please. :D

Albert

MP2 Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 18, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: How to use the current SVN version?

Hi I haven't been able to download a complete SVN file I keep getting booted at the last stages, I'm sure there will be a trick can you let me know, please. :D

What does that mean? What did you do and what didn't work? To download source via SVN you can google descriptions.

Quarter

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 21, 2010
    Queenstown
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Re: AW: Re: How to use the current SVN version?

What does that mean? What did you do and what didn't work? To download source via SVN you can google descriptions.

When downloading it I get an error saying that the host dropped the connection or to similar description. My memory is a little flaky. Which in turns leaves me with an incomplete source.

Albert

MP2 Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 18, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: AW: Re: How to use the current SVN version?

When downloading it I get an error saying that the host dropped the connection or to similar description. My memory is a little flaky. Which in turns leaves me with an incomplete source.

"downloading" - what does that mean?
    "it" - what does that mean?

I haven't my crystal ball here at the moment.

Please describe exactly what you did. Which tool do you use? Which URL do you use? See the descriptions in our Wiki how to get the current version.

markus_g

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2006
    Home Country
    Australia Australia

I had the same problem using TortoiseSVN. To get around it I just performed an SVN update a couple of times untill it had downloaded everything.
    Then future update have worked fine.

Can I have the server and the client on the same pc or is this only in the future? Windows 7 64bit can see the client under Network and sharing centre but not the server.

Markus

Albert

MP2 Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 18, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: How to use the current SVN version?

Can I have the server and the client on the same pc or is this only in the future? Windows 7 64bit can see the client under Network and sharing centre but not the server.
    The idea is that client and server both can be located everywhere in the local network, even on the same machine. I have them always running both on my Win7 64bit machine. Please run both in debug mode in Visual Studio and look at the console output. Are there any errors?

using TortoiseSVN to get MP2, Still the same context as poster 1 hence "it".

Ok, yes, I remember that I also had that error in the early days with our SVN server. I solved it the same way as Markus, SVN update until everything is there. SVN is quite robust against such kinds of problems.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    On the first checkout of the complete MP2 project these "connection errors" can happen (even though I've never encountered it "yet").
    Just keep pushing the "update" button in tortoisesvn until all is downloaded.

Users who are viewing this thread