HTPC on regular 27" TV w/Svideo (1 Viewer)

Underfunded

Portal Member
December 7, 2005
NH
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
How does MP look on a regular 27" TV hooked up w/ S-Video. I am going to be purchasing a hdtv in about 6 months, but want to build my system now. Anybody have it hooked up to a regular tv? What are your thoughts on it?

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    I am using like a 21 inch with an s-video cable. I have a fx5200 and the s-video comes right out of that into the tv. My rez is 1024x768 and it looks just OK. I am using the BlueTwo skin and it does a pretty good job of displaying the text. The discriptions on the movies are a little hard to read but you can usually make them out. The video, is actually pretty good and because thats what I use the most from MP... it works for me. If you are going on a 27 inch I would say it should be pretty decent and very readable. I know there are some programs to tweak your tv-out and using a high quality s-video cable can also make a difference. I would hook it up and have a look at it.

Edit: The main reason why I use 1024x768 is because I use remote admin to log into my HTPC. If It's down to 640x480 or 800x600 it too small for me to read all the menus.

donmega

Portal Member
    November 14, 2005
    I have a 32" and my results are about the same as the last ones posted.

Running 1024x768 and u have to know windows well or you wont get anywhere because you cant really read anything.

Im also using a fx5200 with s-video. Media portal looks good though and everything is readable from my couch and the video looks about as good as its gonna on a non hdtv, watching movies that I rip on my comp first always makes me sad cause I know they will never look half as good on my tv but Im saving for an hdtv so hopefully soon i wont be living in the 90's any more.

A new tv was just never important to me until I built my media pc.

htpcNoob

Portal Pro
    January 23, 2005
    Not bad at all

I have a 32" Sony wega and the quality is very good. I have a radeon 9000 pro agp with s/video out and resolution is 720x576 (even though Im from US, I'm using the PAL specifications). Reading video titles and such are not a problem. They are fairly crisp and clear.

The reason being the resolution. On a standard TV, anything higher then 720x480 (NTSC) or 720x576 (PAL) is really overkill and actually doesnt do much for the image.

In the end, it really depends on the TV and video card. I wouldnt suggest anything less than a fx5200 (DX9 compliant).

archimede

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2005
    Stuttgart, Germany
    I have a good 4/3 28" TV and I am using my ATI 9600Pro over the SVideo output with a resolution of 800x600 pixels. The TV input is set on SVideo as well.
    It looks very good and you can read everything on the screen.
    I have also tried other resolutions, but the one mentioned is the best for my system :)

Users who are viewing this thread