Ideas for Music Section 1.3 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
So it seems as if the usability could be greatly improved by a) make "Show current playlist" always show the playlist, b) make the now playing list hidden (or perhaps it can be shown, in part at least, on the Now Playing screen but I don't think this is particularly necessary)
This is what un-ticking the "Playlist screen shows current playlist" option in config does.

Yes, your right of course. I just don't see much sense in having the alternative behaviour, but if other users do I suppose there's no harm in having the option. I don't recall what the default is, but defaulting it to "shows current playlist" seems the most sensible option.

I am not going to make OK add to playlist. I will add an action so you can map whatever remote button you like to add an item to the playlist but OK will do what it does now.

I don't know why you're so determined not to change it, but frankly the current behaviour is very non user-friendly. Any user would generally expect OK/Select to add a track to the playlist and Play to play a track. So it would make much more sense if the option in the config was to change the Play button between Queue and Play and leave OK fixed as Add to playlist. Allowing a button to be mapped to add to playlist is better than nothing, but if OK can't be used it means the user has to select a less intuitive button to do this.

Wozza

Portal Member
October 30, 2011
Brisbane
Home Country
Afghanistan Afghanistan
shuffle all (select genre, artist , album etc then choose play in random order)..Great!

I think this would be a great option. Select a genre combination to restrict database selection then have the facility to play randomly from that restricted selection. ie pick Jazz genre and play randomly from that selection.

Klez

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Ideas for Music Section 1.3

I don't know why you're so determined not to change it, but frankly the current behaviour is very non user-friendly. Any user would generally expect OK/Select to add a track to the playlist and Play to play a track.
    I agree!!

BTW: I think the screen with the big album-art and VU-Meter is nearly useless and eye-candy only.

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Klez: Some use a mediaportal htpc for eye candy! I do enjoy running MP as a music player and showing fanart, album art in the now playing screen. BTW: You can set MP not to go there in the config section.

Klez

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Eyecandy is OK, but i think MP lacks of some very comfortable features... I miss a simple search function for example... eyecandy's should be done afterwards. But thats only my opinion of course...

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Sorry to be late to the party, but I only just discovered this thread. Given the comments about a shared wishlist and the already large workload planned for 1.3, I am a bit confused. Should I be adding my 2 cents worth in this thread, in the Google doc, or should I wait for a"Music Section 1.4" thread?
    1. One idea I like from the 1.2 thread that I don't see mentioned here is:
    Global search box with input for keyboard and SMS-style (for your remote control)
    1.2 appears to support only the SMS style. However, the needed code seems to exist already, as OnlineVideos supports both keyboard and SMS-style entry in its search dialog.
    2. As several have mentioned here, it would be nice to have support for multi-room, for playback levels and for additional tags, such as composer.
    3. As an alternative to multi-room support, I would be happy with very primitive support of music streaming by UPNP. By very primitive, I mean that i would be enough to simply expose the music folders I have defined in Configuration. Streaming solutions which attempt to expose a music catalog do not work for me, as my catalog is too big. Once again the code was already written (by Kroko, IIRC), however, it no longer works in later MP versions.
    4. I agree that it is impracticable to support tagging in the 10' GUI. Better to keep it in a separate app like MPTagThat.
    5. This is probably a skinning issue, but my pet peeve about music in MP since I first started with v0.2x is the wasted screen real estate in the Now Playing screen. Instead of stringing tags together in a single line display in a moving marquee design, how about displaying separate tag fields on separate lines? Some tags (e.g. title) might even warrant their own wrapped multi-line display. As an example, the title of an opera aria is typically too long for a single-line field.

That said, I will be happy and grateful for whatever is included in the next version.
    Keep up the great work!

P.S. I see that keyboard / SMS and playback level (replay gain) are already in the Google doc,but the status & voting columns are empty. Will they be serving any purpose and, if so, how does one vote?
    I took the liberty of adding a line about UPNP service for music.
    I see that replay gain is already on the roadmap, so perhaps it's a moot point.

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I thought of something that I have been missing but haven't really thought about until now. :) It should be pretty easy to implement:

Add "Now Playing" option to F9 context menu.

When music is playing, while browsing music (artists, albums, tracks or files) you hit F9 and you have Now Playing in the options shown instead of having to go to the hidden menu then keep on navigating to go to it. If you add Now Playing to the bottom of the F9 list, it's just F9 then UP to get to it.

Emph

mysteryboard

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 6, 2011
    Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ideas for Music Section 1.3 - Music Views with "or"-join

Hello,

the music views-configuration is user-friendly and it is easy to built my own views. But I think, that I have a good idea for the next music section. It should be possible to built a view with "or"-joins. For example a music-view which includes the music from the genre "Pop" and "R&B" and "Soul". Or a music-view with the music from the genre "Indie" and "Alternative" and so on. The benefit is, that the music view-configuration is able to replace the smart playlists!

A good idea?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread