Helios61

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi John!

Will there be the possibility to import all my movies from myfilms into MovingPictures soon?

Thanks for your work and effort

Helios

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    This is actually a really good question and not something I have thought about in a while. I know that MyFilms pulls data from the Ant Movie Catalog. What is the format for the Ant database? Is it one large XML file?

Helios61

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: Import from MyFilms?

This is actually a really good question and not something I have thought about in a while. I know that MyFilms pulls data from the Ant Movie Catalog. What is the format for the Ant database? Is it one large XML file?

Yes, its an export from ant to .xml! MyFilms Database is attached!

Best regards

Helios

Attachments

• michael.xml
      30.6 KB

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    Hrmm, okay so here is the problem. It is very possible to write a scraper script to import data from an XML file like this, but the scraper scripts currently do not support configuration options, meaning the script would not know where to look for the XML file. This I think is the main reason a MyFilms importer has not been done yet. What we can do to work around the issue is always assume the file is in a specific location and then ask the user to copy their XML file there... It's not pretty but may get the job done.

So I spoke with one of our team members (LRFalk01) and he said he would try to put something together. He is a bit busy this week though so he may not get to it until sometime next week. No promises, but we will try to get something workable for you. Please star the issue on our bug tracker to receive updates as we make progress on this. Additionally, any further feedback should be posted over there.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    Also I want to be clear so there are not any false expectations. Moving Pictures imports a movie collection very differently than MyFilms does. It starts with the actual file on the disk and then grabs movie details about that file. The script we will be writing will use the MyFilms XML database as a source for that movie information. So this script will import MyFilms movie details for video files scanned in by Moving Pictures. It will not automatically import offline DVDs. Bulk importation of offline media is something we eventually want to support but it is still several versions away.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    I'm gonna try to assist LRFalk on this, already obtained a better MyFilms XML database that contains a more movie based content, as that is more the ultimate goal to start off with. Helios61's XML file was more music video related from what I could tell.

Also might be able to fix the problem regarding location of the MyFilms database file, as the MyFilms configuration file is in a fixed location and contains all this information.

Just been a little hectic trying to balance the current workload with all these little personal side projects.

Users who are viewing this thread