initial support for Hauppuage HD-PVR (2 Viewers)

ScaryBob

Portal Member
March 25, 2007
London, Canada
Home Country
Canada Canada
Update MediaPortal-svn_20081222

Due to the problem with the remote client, I decided to do a clean installation on the server and client and reconfigure everything. MP is working really well with the new version.

The main glitch occurred when there was audio but no video on the remote client. I tracked that down to the video decoder. It appears that ffdshow is not up to decoding the HDPVR stream (nor are most decoders.) The stream is decoded correctly on the local (MP server) system by the Arcsoft codec but that is not available on the remote client due to installation restrictions on the Arcsoft software.

I have installed the CoreAVC codec on the remote client and it works well. On the local client, I don't see a huge advantage with CoreAVC over the Arcsoft decoder. If I can get the Arcsoft decoder installed on the remote client or get ffdshow working, I will use one of those rather than pay US$15 for CoreAVC.

garry

Portal Pro
December 11, 2005
California
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I also noticed this in the notes -> "Also ported quality control support from analog cards to hdpvr", does that mean we will be able to choose the quality of our recordings now?

I'm not sure, but that is what it sounds like. I never messed with the quality control.

Dale#1976

Portal Pro
September 21, 2006
Home Country
Canada Canada
Hey Dale,
Even though it 'looks' like you can communicate with your server, the port for SQL may not be open. Do you have a firewall running on the Server? If so, you can specify ports (or programs) to be opened to allow connectivity. I know SQL Server uses port 1433, but Im not sure about sql express. A quick test would be to disable windows firewall completely and see if that resolves the issue.

Wile E.

Garry,
It looks like your HD-PVR has been added to the next build... Change Log

I also noticed this in the notes -> "Also ported quality control support from analog cards to hdpvr", does that mean we will be able to choose the quality of our recordings now?

Hi WileECoyote ... Thanks for the suggestion to disable the firewall. That allowed my XP desktop to run the MP TV. SQL Express also uses 1433 port and that port was already open so I don't know what was blocking the access. I finally gave up with the XP firewall because all the settings looked 'right'.

I installed the FREE ZoneAlarm firewall on my TV Server and that solved my problem with my desktop XP client.

Now I'm trying to get my HP notebook running Vista to work. I had it going yesterday but then I had a huge number of security updates to install and after that, I couldn't get the TV going. Installed the ZoneAlarm firewall on my Vista notebook but that didn't solve the problem either.

I did a complete uninstall and then a reinstall with the hopes that it would reset the firewall, but that didn't help. Not sure what to do next. Again, my notebook can see the TV server because the 'record' button is on.

Anyone had similar problems with Visa machines?

Thanks for all your help WileE. Hope everyone has a GREAT New Year!!

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    Hi Dale,
    Normally if one client can see the server, all can see the server. I have three Vista clients running and havent encountered any issues (with connectivity at least :) .) Im not sure how the ZoneAlarm firewall works, but when you set it up on the server did you specify which client's could connect, by IP address maybe? When you set up the MP client on Vista, did you specifiy the server by host name or IP address? Is it set up the same as your XP client?

Whenever I set up a vista machine the two things I do first is turn off the UAC and disable the firewall completely (I turn off the firewall so I can do file sharing, makes my life much easier.) I dont think either of those should be causing your issue, but it would be worth a try...

Wile E.

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    Has anyone tried the official 1.0 release to see if the HDPVR support is working?

If you look at the 1.0.1 fixes, it shows that HD-PVR support was just added... I think Garry checked 1.0 it when it was first released and quickly noticed it was not supported, which is why he created a special HD-PVR 1.0 build.

sshirley2000

Portal Member
    January 5, 2009
    Home Country
    HD-PVR not listed as card

I am having trouble getting my HD-PVR to work. In TME, I can record video, but I have no audio (though I have the compnent cables running from my STB to the HD-PVR). More importantly though, in the TV-Server Configuration under the section 'TV-Servers', I see my machine but there is only one card there which is 'RadioWebStream'. I expected to see the HD-PVR. I am running version 1.0 of MP (downloaded 1/4/09). Do I need to install the files from Post #1?

-Sam
    :D

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    I am having trouble getting my HD-PVR to work. In TME, I can record video, but I have no audio (though I have the compnent cables running from my STB to the HD-PVR). More importantly though, in the TV-Server Configuration under the section 'TV-Servers', I see my machine but there is only one card there which is 'RadioWebStream'. I expected to see the HD-PVR. I am running version 1.0 of MP (downloaded 1/4/09). Do I need to install the files from Post #1?

-Sam

Hi Sam,
    First off, welcome to MP! Im sure once you get it working you will be very happy with the results.

When you say you hooked up the HD-PVR via component, do you have any audio cables hooked up from your STB? You should have two sets of cables, one set (3 RCA) for the video component and one set of audio either 2 RCA or fiber (toslink). Make sure only hook up one set of the audio. Once you hook that up, be sure to select which set of cables you have in the TME software.

Once you get your audio & video going, you need to install the version of MP from the 1st post of this thread. Install the client first then install the server. Then you should see the tuner in the TV-Server setup.

A few other considerations, I use schedulesdirect here in the US for my guide data and also use serial cables to my STB (DirecTV) for reliable channel changing.

Good Luck!
    Wile E.

sshirley2000

Portal Member
    January 5, 2009
    Home Country

-Sam

Hi Sam,
    First off, welcome to MP! Im sure once you get it working you will be very happy with the results.

When you say you hooked up the HD-PVR via component, do you have any audio cables hooked up from your STB? You should have two sets of cables, one set (3 RCA) for the video component and one set of audio either 2 RCA or fiber (toslink). Make sure only hook up one set of the audio. Once you hook that up, be sure to select which set of cables you have in the TME software.

Once you get your audio & video going, you need to install the version of MP from the 1st post of this thread. Install the client first then install the server. Then you should see the tuner in the TV-Server setup.

A few other considerations, I use schedulesdirect here in the US for my guide data and also use serial cables to my STB (DirecTV) for reliable channel changing.

Good Luck!
    Wile E.
    Hi Wile E.,

I meant to describe the audio cable setup better in my post. :) Yes, I have the 2 audio component cables connected from the STB to the HD-PVR. Although I am going to get an optical audio cable for surround sound 5.1. I didn't see where in TME to set up the audio configuration, but I'll check it out again.

After I posted here, I downloaded and installed the RC4 version and can now see the HD-PVR. Now I just need to get guide data in there. I can read up on XMLTV and WebEPG. I tried googling just now unsuccessfully for a webpage that showed how to get guide data from Microsoft (using their source for Media Center). Do you know anything about this?

Right now I am attempting to use the HD-PVR IR Blaster for channel changing. I'm not certain that it is working right now. What software do you use to change channels with serial in conjunction with the HD-PVR?

Thanks!

-Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom