initial support for Hauppuage HD-PVR (3 Viewers)

ScaryBob

Portal Member
March 25, 2007
London, Canada
Home Country
Canada Canada
I would guess that HD throughput is the issue as well. TS files take a major chunk of a hard drive's bandwidth. I suggest putting Windows on one drive and recordings on another (physical drive, not just partition.) Also, make sure that background processes, such as virus scanners or disk indexing, are set to not access the drive used for MP recordings. You might want to look at a fast SATA2 drive, such as the Western Digital Black series, for recordings. Throughput can also sometimes be improved with a better SATA controller or by tuning/troubleshooting the SATA disk drivers. Some nVidia SATA drivers have performance issues. The Windows drivers are usually best.

The CPU could be an issue if the hard drive controller uses a lot of CPU to do its job and the CPU is heavily loaded. This is typical of on board controllers or cheap SATA cards. PCI/PCIe bus throughput can also be an issue if video bandwidth is high. That could be solved with a better/faster motherboard and CPU. In my experience, CPU speed is not an issue on a dedicated MP server.

BTW, HD-PVR is still working well here. :D Garry :)

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Garry,
    I tried to install the latest SVN over the weekend and while the HD-PVR tuners show up in the TV Server, I could not get them to timeshift. Are the dev's aware there are still HD-PVR issues? I was going to submit a bug, but I didnt want to step on your toes as I know your working with the dev's directly.

:D
    Wile E.

sjeffrey

Portal Pro
    August 22, 2008
    Canada
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I installed the latest svn for a week but hadn't tried the timeshifting until yesterday.
    I figured it was a codec issue or something because I did a lot of things trying to convert my recordings.
    Was your error "unable to create/start graph" or something like that?

In the meantime I'm using rcTVCap for my recordings. I don't watch much live TV so it's ok for now.

garry

Portal Pro
    December 11, 2005
    California
    Home Country
    Garry,
    I tried to install the latest SVN over the weekend and while the HD-PVR tuners show up in the TV Server, I could not get them to timeshift. Are the dev's aware there are still HD-PVR issues? I was going to submit a bug, but I didnt want to step on your toes as I know your working with the dev's directly.

:D
    Wile E.

The latest SVN won't work for the HD-PVR at all. Some changes were made to my patch and I need to submit a new one, hopefully soon. For now you can use the files in this thread, that is what I am running.

chesh

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 5, 2009
    Spokane, WA
    Home Country
    Question for those of you using the HD-PVR and are in the US. How do you go about getting your EPG data? I saw with the Schedules direct plugin that you need to have it auto-scan your lineup for the type of service that you're using, but that obviously won't work for the HD-PVR since it's getting all it's info over the component cable. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for any info. Oh, and thank you garry for making a patch for the HD-PVR to work with Mediaportal!

garry

Portal Pro
    December 11, 2005
    California
    Home Country
    The SchedulesDirect plugin gets data from schedulesdirect.org (via the internet). It is how I get my guide data.

chesh

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 5, 2009
    Spokane, WA
    Home Country
    Do you have to hand program the channel numbers that you want or do you have to program their callsigns in order for it to download the info?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom