initial support for Hauppuage HD-PVR (7 Viewers)

twemperor

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2010
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I'm having stability problems recording with the HD-PVR 1212. I think I've figured out all my playback issues (when it records properly), and I'm using the Arcsoft codecs that came with TME.

I'm using Windows XP SP3, and ForTheRecord as my scheduler. I'm also using MediaPortal 1.2 Alpha, since I was having problems related to the memory leak in 1.1.1. Maybe I need to do a clean install of 1.1.2?

~2/3 of my recordings work great, so I know that everything can work. However, I have two distinct recording problems. One is a black frame flicker that occurs ~1/second throughout the entire recording. I'm fairly certain it is in the recording (and not playback), as it only occurs in certain recordings and is there in all the media players and codecs I can throw at it. It sounds like a known flicker issue with the HD-PVR 1212 that was supposed to be fixed with the driver version 1.5.7, which I have installed. I've read on the Hauppauge forum that installing the older driver/software can also fix this issue, but on this thread the 1.5.7 drivers seemed to be endorsed.

The other failure is that the recordings just stop. Digging through the logs, it looks like 4TheRecord gets a message from TVServer that the recording stopped (even though there is nothing in the TVServer logs), and then 4TheRecord aborts the recording and tries to start again. When restarting the recording, the PMT times out in <.1 seconds, even though my PMT timeout is 20 seconds. From this point, all recordings fail to start the graph, and I have to restart both the TVServer service and the HD-PVR 1212 box.

Some of the things I've disabled which seem to help (but not make the problems go away completely) are thumbnail generation and running comskip 'live' during the recording.

Any thoughts?

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    I'm having stability problems recording with the HD-PVR 1212. I think I've figured out all my playback issues (when it records properly), and I'm using the Arcsoft codecs that came with TME.

I'm using Windows XP SP3, and ForTheRecord as my scheduler. I'm also using MediaPortal 1.2 Alpha, since I was having problems related to the memory leak in 1.1.1. Maybe I need to do a clean install of 1.1.2?

~2/3 of my recordings work great, so I know that everything can work. However, I have two distinct recording problems. One is a black frame flicker that occurs ~1/second throughout the entire recording. I'm fairly certain it is in the recording (and not playback), as it only occurs in certain recordings and is there in all the media players and codecs I can throw at it. It sounds like a known flicker issue with the HD-PVR 1212 that was supposed to be fixed with the driver version 1.5.7, which I have installed. I've read on the Hauppauge forum that installing the older driver/software can also fix this issue, but on this thread the 1.5.7 drivers seemed to be endorsed.

The other failure is that the recordings just stop. Digging through the logs, it looks like 4TheRecord gets a message from TVServer that the recording stopped (even though there is nothing in the TVServer logs), and then 4TheRecord aborts the recording and tries to start again. When restarting the recording, the PMT times out in <.1 seconds, even though my PMT timeout is 20 seconds. From this point, all recordings fail to start the graph, and I have to restart both the TVServer service and the HD-PVR 1212 box.

Some of the things I've disabled which seem to help (but not make the problems go away completely) are thumbnail generation and running comskip 'live' during the recording.

Any thoughts?

Hey twemperor,
    Yes, your biggest issue is you are using the 1.2 alpha. I tried it for a little while, and had very similar problems where files would not play correctly, I had runaway recordings, and all kinds of other recording issues.

My recommendation would be to do a clean install with 1.1.2 and you should see a lot of those issues go away.

Good luck!
    Wile E.

twemperor

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2010
    Home Country

Any thoughts?

Hey twemperor,
    Yes, your biggest issue is you are using the 1.2 alpha. I tried it for a little while, and had very similar problems where files would not play correctly, I had runaway recordings, and all kinds of other recording issues.

My recommendation would be to do a clean install with 1.1.2 and you should see a lot of those issues go away.

Good luck!
    Wile E.

I had not done a clean reinstall of MediaPortal before, and props to the BackupSettings plugin for making it much easier than I expected. A clean install of 1.1.2 seems to have cleared up this issue with the Hauppauge HD-PVR 1212 (and some other issues with Live TV in general). I didn't want to jinx it, but I'm 24 hours and a dozen recordings with 1.1.2 and everything looks great!

twemperor

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2010
    Home Country

Any thoughts?

Hey twemperor,

Good luck!
    Wile E.

I had not done a clean reinstall of MediaPortal before, and props to the BackupSettings plugin for making it much easier than I expected. A clean install of 1.1.2 seems to have cleared up this issue with the Hauppauge HD-PVR 1212 (and some other issues with Live TV in general). I didn't want to jinx it, but I'm 24 hours and a dozen recordings with 1.1.2 and everything looks great!

I guess I declared victory a little too soon.

The main problem- recordings stopping and requiring a restart of TV Server/HD-PVR have stopped. 20 recordings later, and everything is still working great on MP 1.1.2.

Unfortunately, one of my recordings still had the black frame flicker. This is odd because I can't find any real mention of this problem on any other forums. For me, the audio is perfect but the video has a black frame flash up ~1 per second. I've tried replacing the composite input cables, but the picture is great otherwise. My DirecTV H-20 box is configured to only output 720p, so I don't think it's a problem switching to 1080i. Maybe some other kind of channel/content signal configuration? Framerate? I believe I've configured the HD-PVR to use 10Mbit VBR and output in M2TS format. Any other recommended configuration?

Has anyone else experienced this black frame flicker?

sjeffrey

Portal Pro
    August 22, 2008
    Canada
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I had the issue a few times a while back but it was configuration related.
    I'm not having the issue right now and I'm using FFDShow codecs. I don't have any of the Arcsoft software installed.

mdg78

Portal Member
    February 23, 2009
    Providence, RI
    Home Country
    I don't think I had the same issue as you, but I fixed an issue with my HD-PVR where I would get stuttering (not black frames) in the recording by disabling the "bling LEDs" in the Arcsoft config. I don't know why this worked, maybe it was heat related or something else, but when I disabled the LEDs, my recordings got *MUCH* better.

Michael

twemperor

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2010
    Home Country
    I had the issue a few times a while back but it was configuration related.
    I'm not having the issue right now and I'm using FFDShow codecs. I don't have any of the Arcsoft software installed.

sjeffrey- you don't have Arcsoft TME installed at all, or just the codecs aren't installed for MediaPortal? Doesn't Total Media Extreme need to be installed to setup the capture settings for the HD-PVR?

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    Has anyone else tried the latest SVN with any success? I just tried 27026 and the TV Server is broken. I noticed the fix 3218 in Mantis was supposed to fix an issue created by another fix (3171), but Im wondering if it is really fixed for HDPVR?

If anyone else is experiencing issues let me know and I will file a bug report.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi there

I was the developer that created the fix (for the fix). Please post your TV Server logs. It is possible my fix didn't properly work for the HDPVR (I haven't got one myself)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom