Installation Setup Failed - Error 0x80070643 (3 Viewers)

Snakes

Portal Member
August 23, 2012
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
Thanks. Step 2 produced this

Dism.jpg

The log file is attached

Attachments

• dism.7z
    6.7 KB

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @Snakes ,

the CBS.log shows a lot of pending renames and double ownerships. With that many system issues, I fear that it won't be possible to repair the system. The best and possibly only way to fix the system would be a complete reinstallation of Windows 7 SP1, followed by all its respective updates, before putting your applications and drivers back on.

You may also consider to upgrade to Win 10 Creator's Update if that's an option.

Snakes

Portal Member
    August 23, 2012
    Home Country
    I tried the ScanHealth option and got this

ScanHealth.jpg

as you can see I did run Dism.exe routine.

As for a fresh reinstall of Windows 7, that's difficult because it's an upgrade from Windows Home Vista! I do have another PC running Windows 10 so could install that but the reason for attempting to install MP2 was to check if it was a good enough substitute for the Windows Media Centre of Windows 7 (and if it was to move to Windows 10) as we have that PC hooked up to a cinema room to watch recorded TV. But the WMC EPG guide is no longer supported and it's no longer able to select programmes to record.

In your view, if I upgrade to Windows 10, will I be able to set up MP2 to watch and record Freeview (especially the UK HD channels)?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I tried the ScanHealth option and got this
    The possibilities to repair a corrupted Windows 7 installation are unfortunately limited.

IIn your view, if I upgrade to Windows 10, will I be able to set up MP2 to watch and record Freeview (especially the UK HD channels)?
    These are actually three questions:
    1. Does upgrade yield an error-free Windows? Yes, I guess it will.
    2. Can I install MP2 under Windows 10? Well, MP2 installs under Windows 7 and higher - provided it is not corrupted ;).
    3. Can I get Free TV and EPG? Definitely yes. There are several threads how to best set up EPG for UK TV. But that will be subject to another discussion, once MP2 is working.
    You can of course install MP2 on your existing Win 10 PC to get a first hand impression of the WMC skin and verify that it meets your expectations before adventuring yourself into upgrading your Windows 7 machine. Although I believe that the setup is seriously messed up.

Snakes

Portal Member
    August 23, 2012
    Home Country
    Thanks for all your help. I think I'm going to do a fresh install of Windows 10 on the W7 pc and install MP2. On that topic, I assume MP2 is the one to go for as I recall there is an earlier version MP?

aspik

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 14, 2008
    I looked into this a bit more.

The first custom action StopProcesses throws an exception most probably by GetFiles. The exception is caught here and in the log the exception is logged as an error
    Calling custom action CustomActions!CustomActions.ProcessActions.StopProcesses
    Stopping running MP2 processes
    StopProcesses: Error: Second path fragment must not be a drive or UNC name.
    Parameter name: path2
    The StopProcesses action has the return attribute set to ignore:
    XML:
     <CustomAction Id="StopProcesses" BinaryKey="Custom_Action_Dll" DllEntry="StopProcesses" Impersonate="no" Execute="immediate" Return="ignore" />
    Which means that the return code (failure) will be ignored and the whole custom action will be marked as success:
    CustomAction StopProcesses returned actual error code 1603 but will be translated to success due to continue marking
    Action ended 18:30:00: StopProcesses. Return value 1.

I found that on some system the way we searching for MP2 processes can throw an exception.
    @osre
    What do you think?

The second error is an exception in the PrepareXmlPathVariables custom action:
    Calling custom action CustomActions!CustomActions.CustomActions.PrepareXmlPathVariables
    Exception thrown by custom action:
    System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.ArgumentException: String cannot be of zero length.
    Parameter name: oldValue
    at System.String.ReplaceInternal(String oldValue, String newValue)
    at System.String.Replace(String oldValue, String newValue)
    at CustomActions.CustomActions.PrepareXmlPathVariables(Session session, String cs, IEnumerable`1 pathLabels)
    at CustomActions.CustomActions.PrepareXmlPathVariables(Session session)
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
    at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object parameters, Object arguments)
    at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object parameters, CultureInfo culture)
    at Microsoft.Deployment.WindowsInstaller.CustomActionProxy.InvokeCustomAction(Int32 sessionHandle, String entryPoint, IntPtr remotingDelegatePtr)
    CustomAction PrepareXmlPathVariables returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
    Action ended 18:30:02: PrepareXmlPathVariables. Return value 3.
    It occurs probably somewhere here in the one of the string operations. There is no try catch block, so the exception isn't nowhere caught. And this action has the return attribute set to check, means: if this action fails, the whole installation fails.

Unfortunately I have no idea whats the reason for the exception on your system. The only way to get some more info would be debug this action on your system or prepare an build with additionally logging.

Snakes

Portal Member
    August 23, 2012
    Home Country
    Firstly, thank you again for taking the time to attempt to get to the bottom of my issue(s).

Is this the "handle"/name of a contributor that you are inviting to comment?

The only way to get some more info would be debug this action on your system or prepare an build with additionally logging.
    Unfortunately, I do not have the necessary knowledge to begin to be able to do this. However, as we have established, I can follow explicit instructions so am willing to do that if it is possible to come up with an idiot's guide!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom