iPiMP 5.1.0 is released (2 Viewers)

limpwhizkid

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 22, 2008
    on your IPC$
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    If you're running iPiMP 5.1.0.xxxx with MP 1.1.x the you should update the ffmpeg & smoothstreamong components as described here.

These updates are included in the iPiMP 5.2.0.xxxx for MP 1.2.x
    1.Download the updated FFMpeg here.
    2.Download the updated smooth streaming Apache module here.
    3.Stop the iPiMPWeb service (at a command prompt use NET STOP iPiMPWeb)
    4.Rename the folder C:\Program Files\iPiMP\Utilities\FFMpeg to C:\Program Files\iPiMP\Utilities\FFMpeg.old
    5.Rename the file C:\Program Files\iPiMP\Apache\modules\mod_smooth_streaming.so to C:\Program Files\iPiMP\Apache\modules\mod_smooth_streaming.so.old
    6.Backup C:\Program Files\iPiMP\Aspx\config.xml somewhere safe
    7.Unzip the updated FFMpeg into C:\Program Files\iPiMP\Utilities (check you end up with C:\Program Files\iPiMP\Utilities\FFMpeg\FFMpeg.exe)
    8.Unzip the updated smooth streaming Apache module into C:\Program Files\iPiMP\Apache\modules
    9.Start the iPiMPWeb service (at a command prompt use NET START iPiMPWeb)
    10.Edit (DONT COPY & PASTE) the ffmpeg and smoothstreaming module parameters in C:\Program Files\iPiMP\Aspx\config.xml and change line 3 from
    <transcoder name="LiveTV" usetranscoding="1" filename="&quot;C:/Program Files/iPiMP/Utilities/ffmpeg\ffmpeg.exe&quot;" args="-i - -threads 0 -re -vcodec libx264 -fpre &quot;C:/Program Files/iPiMP/Utilities/ffmpeg/ffpresets/libx264-iPiMP.ffpreset&quot; -b 256k -s 480x272 -aspect 480:272 -acodec libfaac -ac 2 -ab 64k -ar 48000 -ac 2 -async 2 -f ism http://127.0.0.1:80/SmoothStream.isml/Streams(SmoothStream)?dvr_window_length=15" inputmethod="2" outputmethod="4" />

to

<transcoder name="LiveTV" usetranscoding="1" filename="&quot;C:/Program Files/iPiMP/Utilities/ffmpeg\ffmpeg.exe&quot;" args="-i - -threads 0 -re -vcodec libx264 -fpre &quot;C:/Program Files/iPiMP/Utilities/ffmpeg/ffpresets/libx264-veryfast.ffpreset&quot; -g 100 -keyint_min 50 -b 256k -s 480x272 -aspect 480:272 -acodec libfaac -ac 2 -ab 64k -ar 44100 -ac 2 -async 2 -f ism http://127.0.0.1:80/SmoothStream.isml/Streams(SmoothStream)" inputmethod="2" outputmethod="4" />

In summary, the parameter changes are:
    1.Use libx264-veryfast.preset instead of libx264-iPiMP.preset
    2.Add -g 100 -keyint_min 50
    3.Change audio rate from 48000 to 44100
    4.Remove ?dvr_window_length=15

Report back on your findings.
    --------------------------------------------
    i did reverse 10 and 9 in execution order :D

sorry to say, that didnt work .. i have 1.1.3 actually on windows2008..

i dit notice something on SD streaming though

SD only uses peak 8% cpu .. lows around 4% and still works flawlessly..

(guess it changed something afterall :D)

gonna try -r 25 aswell .. saw some FPS at 14 in the apache error log for HD channel.. so might help ..

if not i'll just re-enable the SD channels with where disabled in favour of the HD channels.
    So there is no hurry as long as the duplicate SD channels dont disappear if you look at it from that perspective :D
    I guess they wont disappear for a long time , just would be nice if it works also on HD.

If you look at it from a enviroment friendly way, it would actually be better to use the SD channels, much less CPU time/energy goes into transcoding, and the result will be the same 320-330kb output stream you want to watch....

save the environment - use SD channels for iPiMP :mad:

Olli0815

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 22, 2006
    I have some streaming trouble (temp loss of video) while audio continues, with HD channels.
    the same thing happens when streaming a recorded HD show , so something cant keep up the pace ?

when it has been recorded, and you play the converted mp4 file , it has no trouble at all.

or i get an error(sometimes) file/url not found after the 20sec delay to start streaming and pressing play .

Is this a known issue ?

I am on Win 7 - but have the same issues with HD (only 1080i) - even with the tweaks in config file: reducing bitstream to 96k and audio to 32k / 44100, increase buffersize, try different presets...i played around with all ffmpeg parameters in config, but still no luck with HD (via wifi). My "Feeling" says it is related to the buffer: the played stream seams to overtaking the streamed media...and than the dropouts starts - pause, wait a few seconds and play again "catches" it up again - for 3 min....and so on...

The streaming involves 3 components ...
    1. TV Server (for live TV) - or a file (recording, tv series)
    2. Custom build of FFMpeg with Fragmented MP4 support
    3. CodeShop's SmoothStreaming Apache module

The TV Server stream (or recorded file) is the ffmpeg input, the ffmpeg output is HTTP POSTed to the Apache module, so it's likely that either ffmpeg or the apache module is struggling. My money would be on ffmpeg not transcoding quickly enough and the extra data in an HD source is the issue. When you try this could you look at your CPU and see how much is being used by the ffmpeg and httpd (Apache) processes.

Also post your Apache error.log (from C:\Program Files\iPiMP\Apache\logs), that'll contain ffmpeg output logs which may help.

A converted MP4 file is OK because the transcoding is done at leisure and watched later as for file not found, that's probably an error in starting ffmpeg, this would be in the Apache error.log.

Finally - you could try the ffmpeg -r parameter, see here.

i am running ffmpeg with r-18...and:
    <transcoder name="Recording" usetranscoding="1" filename=""C:/Program Files/iPiMP/Utilities/ffmpeg\ffmpeg.exe"" args="-ss 180 -i "{0}" -threads 0 -re -vcodec libx264 -fpre "C:/Program Files/iPiMP/Utilities/ffmpeg/ffpresets/libx264-veryfast.ffpreset" -g 100 -keyint_min 50 -r 18 -b 256k -s 480x272 -aspect 480:272 -acodec libfaac -alang ger -ac 1 -ab 32k -ar 22050 -async 2 -f ism http://127.0.0.1:80/SmoothStream.isml/Streams(SmoothStream)" inputmethod="0" outputmethod="4" />

ffmpeg use 50% of CPU, httpd 2%

fresh logs:
    View attachment 79914
    View attachment 79915

and yes, i also think that ffmpeg isn't fast enough to convert 1080i "near-realtime", because as i say before i reduce the stream quality even down to 96k and -g 25.. with ultrafast_firstpass preset - it does not help...so the drop outs are not related to the output stream..

i also found other examples to stream HD content to I-devices
    iPad Streaming Video and More
    iPhone, iPad, iPod – HTTP Live Streaming (HLS) with free tools on Windows

..but don't ask me how to integrate them into your solution..

Olli

limpwhizkid

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 22, 2008
    on your IPC$
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I have some streaming trouble (temp loss of video) while audio continues, with HD channels.
    the same thing happens when streaming a recorded HD show , so something cant keep up the pace ?

when it has been recorded, and you play the converted mp4 file , it has no trouble at all.

or i get an error(sometimes) file/url not found after the 20sec delay to start streaming and pressing play .

Is this a known issue ?

I am on Win 7 - but have the same issues with HD (only 1080i) - even with the tweaks in config file: reducing bitstream to 96k and audio to 32k / 44100, increase buffersize, try different presets...i played around with all ffmpeg parameters in config, but still no luck with HD (via wifi). My "Feeling" says it is related to the buffer: the played stream seams to overtaking the streamed media...and than the dropouts starts - pause, wait a few seconds and play again "catches" it up again - for 3 min....and so on...

The streaming involves 3 components ...
    1. TV Server (for live TV) - or a file (recording, tv series)
    2. Custom build of FFMpeg with Fragmented MP4 support
    3. CodeShop's SmoothStreaming Apache module

The TV Server stream (or recorded file) is the ffmpeg input, the ffmpeg output is HTTP POSTed to the Apache module, so it's likely that either ffmpeg or the apache module is struggling. My money would be on ffmpeg not transcoding quickly enough and the extra data in an HD source is the issue. When you try this could you look at your CPU and see how much is being used by the ffmpeg and httpd (Apache) processes.

Also post your Apache error.log (from C:\Program Files\iPiMP\Apache\logs), that'll contain ffmpeg output logs which may help.

A converted MP4 file is OK because the transcoding is done at leisure and watched later as for file not found, that's probably an error in starting ffmpeg, this would be in the Apache error.log.

Finally - you could try the ffmpeg -r parameter, see here.

i am running ffmpeg with r-18...and:
    <transcoder name="Recording" usetranscoding="1" filename=""C:/Program Files/iPiMP/Utilities/ffmpeg\ffmpeg.exe"" args="-ss 180 -i "{0}" -threads 0 -re -vcodec libx264 -fpre "C:/Program Files/iPiMP/Utilities/ffmpeg/ffpresets/libx264-veryfast.ffpreset" -g 100 -keyint_min 50 -r 18 -b 256k -s 480x272 -aspect 480:272 -acodec libfaac -alang ger -ac 1 -ab 32k -ar 22050 -async 2 -f ism http://127.0.0.1:80/SmoothStream.isml/Streams(SmoothStream)" inputmethod="0" outputmethod="4" />

ffmpeg use 50% of CPU, httpd 2%

fresh logs:
    View attachment 79914
    View attachment 79915

and yes, i also think that ffmpeg isn't fast enough to convert 1080i "near-realtime", because as i say before i reduce the stream quality even down to 96k and -g 25.. with ultrafast_firstpass preset - it does not help...so the drop outs are not related to the output stream..

i also found other examples to stream HD content to I-devices
    iPad Streaming Video and More
    iPhone, iPad, iPod – HTTP Live Streaming (HLS) with free tools on Windows

..but don't ask me how to integrate them into your solution..

Olli
    r 18 seems unwise to me...
    since ffmpeg has more work to do , going from the usual 25fps to 18 .. ?

try 25 and see if it lowers the cpu consumption ?

Olli0815

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 22, 2006
    As i say before: i played around with all parameters over 3weeks, without success...r from 10 to 30 does not help..For me

limpwhizkid

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 22, 2008
    on your IPC$
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    As i say before: i played around with all parameters over 3weeks, without success...r from 10 to 30 does not help..For me

cant you re-enable the SD streams also , i did that, and all those channels work perfectly for me, all hd channels are also available in SD, and it seems rather pointless to transcode a better source in the same 330kbps stream to watch on the iphone?

the quality of the final stream on the iphone wont be any better by using a hd channel anyway..

so i for one am just really happy with ipimp and just use SD channels for live streaming..

i am donating 40 euros , since this is what i would have paid for it easily if it was available in the app store..

cheezey again .. very nice work! you made my remote fx setup pretty useless :D

Olli0815

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 22, 2006
    I tried again with r 25 the result is even worst, stuttering begins earlier...

i do not have Problems with SD LiveTV - as the HD channels are shows the same content...LiveTV is OK for me, even via 3G.
    i only want to stream my recorings, as i record only from the HD channels...(1080i with DTS)...SD recordings are OK, too.
    But i have 95% HD recordings...

limpwhizkid

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 22, 2008
    on your IPC$
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I tried again with r 25 the result is even worst, stuttering begins earlier...

i do not have Problems with SD LiveTV - as the HD channels are shows the same content...LiveTV is OK for me, even via 3G.
    i only want to stream my recorings, as i record only from the HD channels...(1080i with DTS)...SD recordings are OK, too.
    But i have 95% HD recordings...

those are being transcoded over night to mp4 ?

at least i have set this up this way and all HD shows that have been recorded are available the next day without hickups ?

see attachment ?

p.s. click "view" a recording instead of stream, and it will use the transcoded mp4 instead of the realtime hd recording..

Attachments

• transcode.PNG
      transcode.PNG
      60.8 KB

Olli0815

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 22, 2006
    Thanks for that hint ;-) I am using IPMP since two years now - and i know this Option ...i just talking about Streaming HD recordings ...because i like the idea to stream them instead of transcode everything...every day...

Olli

cheezey

Community Plugin Dev
    August 26, 2004
    West Yorks, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks for that hint ;-) I am using IPMP since two years now - and i know this Option ...i just talking about Streaming HD recordings ...because i like the idea to stream them instead of transcode everything...every day...

Olli

I have also in mind to remove the iPiMP use of transcoded recording in favour of on demand streaming, however I may have to re-think with this HD issue in mind.

I'm loathed to change the streaming technology as it is a really flexible solution with the capability to produce a single source compliant with technologies from Apple (Adaptive Streaming), Adobe (HTTP Dynamic Streaming) and Microsoft (Smooth Streaming). So the same stream can be viewed on iPhones/iPads, flash players, silverlight players etc.

limpwhizkid

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 22, 2008
    on your IPC$
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

Olli

Aha... well .. i am using it for 2 days , so what do i know :D

But I understand where youre coming from , i guess there is nothing you can do , and even cheezey will have to see if better options are available to real time encode HD in the future.

For the moment though, i wouldnt waste my time with trying, it wont work as far as what i have seen happening on my system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom