Netherlands Netherlands
    "the best" is a relative description.
    best open source?
    best for free?
    best support?
    best looking?
    best in features?
    best community?
    what is the best for one, can be the worst for another.

Thats why asking a poll like this on our own forum doesn't make any sence I think.

You can do a poll like,
    "Why do you use MP mainly"
    Because it's free and open source
    Because of it's features
    Because it looks hot
    Because of the great community
    All of the above :)

meh, polls suck :)

gds

Portal Pro
    October 4, 2004
    Italy
    I dare say it's the best for all of the reasons already pointed out, plus two more:
    - its development is community-driven (frodo opened a thread just to decide where to head in beta 0.2),
    - it's incredibly customizable.
    So it's YOU who make mp what you need it to be. And it think it's GREAT.
    GDS

A

Anonymous

Have to agree with MrMario... and add a few comments..

the main function of a HTPC front end is the TV module as this is the most complex with PVR features, tv guide, etc.. This is where I personaly have some issues with stability on MP. However, all this week I have tried most if not all alternatives and below are my comments in case some poeple are interested:

ShowShifter: ugly interface.. looks like something done for Windows 3.1! Basically does not seem to work with PVR 350 :cry:
    BeyondTV: interface clean but not all that user friendly. TV does not work
    SageTV: same as above
    Meedio: I was a fan of MyHTPC but then they took all the work of the community and started charging them!!! Dishonest. Very nice interface, TV is like in Alpha stage..

This is for the commercial software. I also tried the free progs, gbpvr, etc.. and could not get the TV thing to work 100%.

What I like about MP is that it is the only HTPC where I can actually load the TV guide in 5 seconds, it is correct, usableand looks good. None of the othert stuff I tried could handle the TV Guide thing (unless you were prepared to read zillion of posts on their forum)

MP is the BOMB!!! (just get the TV thing working 100% with no freezing, etc..)

amigaice

Portal Member
    December 10, 2004
    It's the most active. And People here listen and try to solve problems. I think the project as a whole is the best even if it's not up to Tivo yet.

X

X4

I guess Tivo is Not Free and Not Open source :?:

amigaice

Portal Member
    December 10, 2004
    No Tivo is not free. But any program like this is trying to copy what Tivo does cause they are the first. Tivo has a very active support base and so does MP which makes it the best FREE one and on it's way to being better then Tivo.

Users who are viewing this thread