[solved] (Kodi issue) MCE Remote not working in 1.13pre. Worked fine in 1.12 (3 Viewers)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @jreed5359
    @Crew
    Thanks for your feedback.

I'm going to merge your comments into this existing thread:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...orking-in-1-13pre-worked-fine-in-1-12.133071/

Please read through the above thread and try the various suggestions. If you're testing stuff with MP 1.12 or older, make sure you disable the MCE handler before enabling the generic HID handler. The two handlers conflict so you should only ever have one enabled at any given time.

If the suggestions don't help, please provide screenshots from the HID Demo app mentioned/linked in the thread.

jreed5359

Portal Member
    August 1, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I'm in the same situation as @FrankBert in that the HID Demo app does not show any response from my remote. Unlike @FrankBert, and @edterbak I am not running Mantis.

Here's my screenshot w/ receiver plugged in:

upload_2016-1-10_22-33-57.png

Here's my screenshot w/ receiver not plugged in.

upload_2016-1-10_22-32-30.png

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    where can I find the config file you are looking for?
    It's not in a file. The configuration comes from the driver's inf file. When the driver is installed, the configuration is copied into the registry.

From what I have seen the configuration is probably not intended to be modified by regular people like us. In some cases there are sparse comments in the inf files, but clearly we would not be expected to deal with that stuff. We would just install the driver and use it as-is. The vendor's driver engineer will customise the configuration for the remote and software that the vendor intends to bundle with the card... and that's it.

You could try to find the configuration in your registry, but it will be slightly different locations for each system. In my case it is...

Main tuner device:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0042

HID device:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{745A17A0-74D3-11D0-B6FE-00A0C90F57DA}\0039

The last part (0042, 0039) is the part that I think will be different.
    View attachment 174593

View attachment 174594

View attachment 174595

View attachment 174591

In the DriverData sub-folder you find the mapping. Each RC_Scancode_** key is a mapping for a remote key:
    View attachment 174592

You can see various keys related to the remote control (IRSYSCODECHECK1, RC_Scancode, RC_Configuration etc.) in the screenshots above. I know what some of them mean/do, but it often depends on the driver/card (eg. TerraTec is different to AzureWave/Twinhan, which is different to TechniSat).

Trying to understand and fiddle with all this stuff seems like a potentially huge time waster to me. In my opinion if you want to check if the Mantis HID device is making a difference, better to just uninstall or disable the driver.

And here I was hoping for a UI and a check box :) I would just forget about that for now since we have no proof that Mantis is the problem.

Last edited:

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I tried the new version of HID Demo and now it's registering all my remote presses, including the ones that weren't working in MP. (i.e. play, ffw, rew, stop, etc.).
    Screenshots please, from the Messages tab.

Last edited:

FrankBert

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 1, 2007
    I did some more investigation ...
    First, with the new HID-Version 1.3.1.5 all keys on the remote work now in the HD-Demo! :)

now working.PNG

It seams that Stéphan had a break thru in coding it. Great!

The Mantis-HID is most likely comming from my DVB-C card, which also has a IR connector (which I have not connected).
    Never the less, disabling it, didnot change the behavior with the ealier version 1.3.1.4 of the HID-Demo.
    Actually I tried to disable all HID devices one after the other - also no luck with the older version. I believe that this is not really causing the trouble.

I also tried to check the MCE-IR receiver on a fresh Windows 7 laptop - same result - with te new HID-Demo it works fine.

The 1000$ question is now, will it work with MP 1.13? (n)

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    It seams that Stéphan had a break thru in coding it. Great!

Well not quite. All the messages you are getting have a usage collection set to 89. What we want is the one coming from the usage collection 88.
    Basically something on your system is preventing the 88 codes to reach the application and we don't know what that is.
    We could somehow workaround it with the 89 code but that would be a pain since I don't really know how we are suppose to parse those.

Can you try the 'More Info' and 'Guide' buttons and give me a screenshot of the results?
    Can you give me a screenshot of your tests on your Windows 7 machine?
    Could you remove the MCE IR and plug the one from your DVB-C card and give it try?
    Why did you not use the one from the DVB-C card in the first place.

The 1000$ question is now, will it work with MP 1.13? (n)
    Maybe it could work by changing the conf to use 89 instead of 88. But since it has not been tried before it's fair to assume it probably would not work.
    If I were you I would stay on 1.12 until we fix this at which point you would get a test build based on 1.13.

If you are felling brave you could also do a fresh install of Windows and try the HID demo before installing anything else.

Last edited:

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    FYI.
    I would like to possibly complicate things even further :p :p

Setup:
    - USB MCE remote 1039 receiver
    - Case: Antec fusion silver VFD with IR receiver ( installed driver, set disabled though)
    - Mantis HID: installed driver but not using it and not disabled

Maybe its relevant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom