Laptop parts for an HTPC (1 Viewer)

Efros

Portal Pro
January 23, 2006
Maine
Home Country
England England
Just a thought, has anyone thought about using the inners of a laptop in a Wife approved case for an MP based HTPC. Strikes me that it would pretty much solve the noise issue.

ohdarklord

Portal Pro
December 31, 2005
Scotland
Home Country
Scotland Scotland
So do you mean all laptop parts
Or do you mean a desktop motherboard with laptop cd drive cpu ect?

I dont think ether would create a silent htpc

As some laptop parts are more noisy than their full sized versions eg cd drives and hard drives
but
I think they would generate less hear though so you could have quiter fans.

NorthernJohn

Portal Pro
January 31, 2006
Hopefully on my bike.
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I've a Silverstone 11m case with "silent", variable fans. You have to try hard to actually hear when it is on. It is much quieter than the Sky+ STB. WAF is high in our household as a result.

I think you get what you pay for in this area. Worth splashing out a bit.

If you do want to go the laptop route, have a look at suppliers of car-puters. They're often built with laptop parts and run on 12v dc. You will be less flexible with your parts and expansion possibilities but will do what you're asking.

Have a look at the first route though.

Efros

Portal Pro
January 23, 2006
Maine
Home Country
England England
I was actually thinking of the motherboard and cpu, with a big quiet HD and cd/dvd.

James

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 6, 2005
    Switzerland
    Yep. Thought about and researched it.

New laptop parts cost too much and I haven't been able to find the correct parts on ebay. The problem is it will require a lot of hacking a self manufacture to get it all together.

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    You can get some very silent laptop HDs. They can definetly be much more silent than their desktop counterparts but they are not available with sufficient capacity for HTPC use(my 250GB HD has run out of space on more than one occasion :)

When it comes to CPU's, you might want to have a look at the Core Duo T2300 up to the T2600, it has a very low TDP of only 31W, and can easily be cooled with a decent passive heatsink. It also has the advantage that micro-atx mobo's are available for it, though the mechanism for attaching the heatsink is not standard so it might be hard to replace the heatsink.

I run a Venice 3000+(1.8Ghz) undervolted to 1.1V with a passive heatsink, and only two '9db' SilenX fan(*incl* the PSU fan which i also replaced). The noisest part in my HTPC is definetly the HD even though its lying on a foam sponge which cancels out vibrations, its sounds like a moderately noisy fan.

In general if you are interested in building a quiet computer i would read the reviews and visit the forums at www.silentpcreview.com.

Users who are viewing this thread