LiveTV freezes and shows a lot of artifacts (4 Viewers)

JackTramiel

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 22, 2006
    Recklinghausen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Is there a tool you would recommend to check the Network?

There are some software tools to check your connection, many modern mainboards have one integrated in their BIOS/UEFI.
    But, I don't think they are reliable.

I would recommend you to buy something like this. In my opinion it's an irreplaceable helper in a networked home.

Thank you for your recommendation. I used such device already and it told me all cables - 8 lines - are fine.
    Well, our device does not test the shield. But it might be worth doing it again, because
    i just had another look at the integrated check tools and it seems there are some issues.
    When i installed my hardware one year ago i checked with this driver integrated tool and all was ok.
    Now i got issues with cable quality, dont know how exactly the mentioned "16 meters" are.

So let me do some network research before reporting any logs or issues. Grml.

Attachments

• network.JPG
      network.JPG
      52.9 KB

radical

Portal Pro
    December 16, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thank you for your recommendation. I used such device already and it told me all cables - 8 lines - are fine.

Such an network testing devices was always reliable for me to find if something wrong with wiring.

Well, our device does not test the shield

If your cabel is really specificated as Cat6 there should be any Problem with this.
    Any chance to test with another cabel? Maybe there is a driver problem or something wrong with your switch/hub.

JackTramiel

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 22, 2006
    Recklinghausen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hope the TO doesnt mind we are leaving the topic somehow.

I made the whole network installation myself. I took the wires from work - regards to our electricians - and those
    are cat6 labled. The normal patch cables are labled cat6, too. So i need to check the patchpanel, switches, patch cables
    and the network sockets.

The server tells me about 16m, the htpc tells me around 1m. So both drivers mention cable quality issues.
    The patch cable from htpc to the network socket is 1m, same for the server. Need to check for a very long
    crossed patch cable and i will take our network testing device to my home.

Just to give you an impression of my network i added a small drawing without unnecessary devices and rooms.
    ( e.g. i needed a switch in the living room for game consoles and the amp )

Attachments

• network.jpg
      network.jpg
      53 KB

megahorst

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • July 8, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Maybe there is a driver problem

I had exactly the same problem as it is described by Jack. (a lot of drops in live TV, GBit network, 2 GBit switches, AVM Fritz!Box)
    The problem came to my network when I have tried use the Intel driver for my NIC. After removing the Intel driver I have used the driver that came with WIN 7 and the problems where gone.

JackTramiel

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 22, 2006
    Recklinghausen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Wasnt sure how helpfull "singleseat" would be. After your commenct and 1 minute of thinking about it i regret the question.

I added all logs without mediaportal.log. The file was to big , did not erase old logs.
    And i forgot that there is no sound device and no monitor connected. However, tsreader.log looks - as far as i understand it - good to me.
    tswriter had issues. As there is no monitor connected i cant tell if there have been visible issues - mediaportal just rendered black screen.
    If i need to add a sound device and monitor for usefull logs please let me know.

Attachments

• client_auf_server.zip
      185.9 KB
    • server.zip
      2 MB

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Snoopy87 - I'll have a think about if it's possible to make TsReader more aggressive about keeping it's internal buffers full. It basically does this anyway, but it's driven by the attached decoder filters accepting input samples - if this gets stalled then file reading etc. will stop as well. This is normal source splitter filter practice (and I think I've experimented with it before, and had problems) but it's probably worth another try.

Attached is an *experimental* TsReader.ax which is more aggressive about reading data from local disks and via UNC paths (SMB).

Please give it a try and report back :)

Attached is another TsReader.ax version to try, with more tweaks to the file reading code (for local and UNC path files, mostly).

Attachments

• TsReader_Experimental_v78_2.zip
      180.4 KB

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    However, tsreader.log looks - as far as i understand it - good to me.
    tswriter had issues

Yes, TsWriter looks like it's had a bad day....playback using only a remote desktop connection might affect things, so I think you really need to try it with a monitor etc. connected to the server so it's a proper single-seat system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom