MCE Remote on XP Home (1 Viewer)

vincet

March 15, 2005
Blackrock
Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to get the MCE2005 Remote control to work on XP Home - I cant find drivers for it!

Cheers,

Vince T

vincet

March 15, 2005
Blackrock
Yes - SP2 Installed & I am also running Windows Update at the moment to make sure everything is up-to-date.

It just cant find drivers (XP Home)

Vince

scoop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2004
    Hi,

From what I've read on the forums and on IRC, the drivers are only available in Windows XP Professional with SP2, not with Home edition. Maybe if you've got a Professional installation with SP2 installed somewhere, you might be able to get the drivers off that installation.

Kind regards,
    Michel

hellmelt

Portal Member
    June 27, 2005
    Uppsala, Sweden
    I have XP Home. No drivers for the remote.

Downloaded a lot of fixes and upgrades for MCE from MS. Could not install them, of course. Extracted the inf and driver files. Tried to install and update drivers manually. Device failed to start.

"Borrowed" XP MCE from a friend (made no product activation). Once the system was patched and the remote working, I copied the files used by the drivers for HID and USB eHome etc to my XP Home system -> Remote working in XP Home!

I don't like the idea that MS sells a remote that is supported only in one limited edition of operating systems.

If someone needs help on getting the remote working in XP Home, PM me and I'll help you finding the file versions you need.

/hellmelt

elkabyle

Portal Member
    October 19, 2005
    hellmelt said:
    I have XP Home. No drivers for the remote.

"Borrowed" XP MCE from a friend (made no product activation). Once the system was patched and the remote working, I copied the files used by the drivers for HID and USB eHome etc to my XP Home system -> Remote working in XP Home!

I don't like the idea that MS sells a remote that is supported only in one limited edition of operating systems.

/hellmelt

I had the same issue. My laptop came with xp home. I struggled to get the MCE remote to work. I eventually used my desktop pc Xp Pro install disc and installed the drivers onto my laptop.
    Bloody Microsoft! They should at least say that their remote is not natively supported on xp home. b*#%&ds !!

Parn

Portal Member
    November 17, 2005
    Darmstadt
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have exact the same problem...
    But unfortunatly no friend with XP pro!

It's installed on my PC on work and I searched the drivers but didn't found them.
    Even the files that someone posted here in the Forum didn't help. (the irbus* files)

Win didn't take them as proper drivers when I browsed to the folder during the installation. Do I have to put them in specific folders?

wortelsoft

Portal Pro
    May 13, 2005
    Rotterdam, The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    The following driver files are used on my system:

hidclass.sys
    hidir.sys
    hidparse.sys
    hid.dll
    irbus.sys

the files below seems to be install files for the above files:

hid.inf
    irbus.inf

There might be more inf files needed you can do search on *.inf files containing the driver files mentioned above.

Parn

Portal Member
    November 17, 2005
    Darmstadt
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    wortelsoft said:
    The following driver files are used on my system:

hidclass.sys
    hidir.sys
    hidparse.sys
    hid.dll
    irbus.sys

the files below seems to be install files for the above files:

hid.inf
    irbus.inf

There might be more inf files needed you can do search on *.inf files containing the driver files mentioned above.

OK...little step forward on my side...
    with the irbus.sys .inf and .pnf I was able to install a part of the drivers.
    Now the Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver is working in my system!

So it seems the Trnsceiver works...but I saw nothing about the remote...and it still doesn't work.

tomorrow a friend will lend me his XP pro CD. (yeah...found one)
    I hope I will find the rest of the files in there!

wortelsoft

Portal Pro
    May 13, 2005
    Rotterdam, The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    First four files *hid* are for an extra hid device.

A picture says it all:

ehome.JPG

You could also try this patch I donwloaded yesterday to get my MCE keyboard working:

WindowsXP-KB888795-v3-x86-ENU.exe

Users who are viewing this thread