Media Portal being sold on ebay!! ?? (1 Viewer)

pieroxy

Portal Pro
November 21, 2005
Paris, France
Well, many replies I wanted to make over here. So here they go:

jazZman, you said "In saying that, I believe that the intent of this part of the GPL (from reading the entire document) was to allow developers to fund their projects and not for profiteers to unscrupulously make a buck off the hard work of others." This clearly shows that you don't know much about the FSF and/or RMS himself. He is A LOT MORE concerned by the software remaining in the public domain than by the developers putting their kids to school. The GPL is all about the software it protects, not at all the man who made it.

mzemina Well, in the context and giving that MP is a GPL software, I'd just say the the FREE used in the homepage referes to freedom, not to price. There is nothing confusing here. I actually encourage you to read the GPL so we all know what we are talking about here. It's only a 10 minutes read, no need to fear the jump.

spachti: "could it be, that somebody is trying to sell the program now 'legally' ??" I think this is exactly the idea.

jazZman

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 13, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ok I surrender

Kris,
    I now see why you gave up.. :roll:

i really dont see how that works

u take their money..how does Frodo know u r giving him the correct amount?

your statement could be construed as very manipulative and untrustworthy

a donation is a donation

what part of "FREE" dont u understand?

Last time I checked, blank media, Labels, packaging and postage all cost money. So does listing on ebay.

My intention was, as previously stated, to deter some of the less scrupulous from profiteering.
    The only way I could see to do this was to advertise in the same forum as these resellers. As Kris has demonstrated, ebay don't take kindly to anyone scaring away prospective buyers. So to list on ebay telling the world that that this is open source and therefore freely available I actually have to have goods to sell. (anyone see "Catch 22" :? )

I would expect that the only people who would purchase MP from a properly worded ad would be, those with insufficient bandwidth to pull down large files, or the terminally confused :(
    All others, given the right directions would be able to find it for themselves.
    By doing this, we would take away the potential market of these other sellers and they would stop trying to sell MP in the guise of MCE.

If we wish to do something about the listings currently on ebay, then we have to play by their (ebays) rules.

SiLenTYL wrote:
    what part of "FREE" dont u understand?

I understand what free means, I also understand what it means as it refers to the GPL.
    do you ??
    I believe that I also understand what free means to the Devs of this project.
    I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the two do not align. :shock:

If you have a better suggestion, then I am all ears.

pieroxy
    For somebody, who does not speak English natively, you use it very well :)
    It appears that you have the understood the essence of what I was trying to say, and I thankyou for your support. I will state here, I do not now, nor have I ever considered making any money out of MP. My inital post mentioned a figure of $10.00, this I plucked out of the air. The real figure would be whatever the real cost of the physical materials needed and listing costs, nothing more.

There is an old truism “everybody complains about the weather, but nobody does anything about it" , well I'm trying to do something other than just bitch about it.

pieroxy

Portal Pro
    November 21, 2005
    Paris, France
    Well, Time for the truth I guess

jazZman said:
    For somebody, who does not speak English natively, you use it very well :)

jazZman said:
    It appears that you have the understood the essence of what I was trying to say, and I thank you for your support.
    You're welcome. As we both stated, there seems to be a gap between what people think free means and what the GPL describes. But again, I am not sure this is what "devs" think, as I don't know who we are talking to in these forums. Are they devs?

jazZman said:
    I will state here, I do not now, nor have I ever considered making any money out of MP. My inital post mentioned a figure of $10.00, this I plucked out of the air. The real figure would be whatever the real cost of the physical materials needed and listing costs, nothing more.
    And why wouldn't you make a small benefit for the time and effort taken? Why is it that everyone making a benefit has to be pictured as a devil in action?

Of course, if it goes against the will of Frodo and other devs, then it is probably a bad idea to do so, at least from a moral standpoint. Can we get a real input from Frodo? What do devs really think? This discussion has already lasted too long, I think it's time we clarify the situation and clearly understand what the devs want.

Edit: I sent a PM to Frodo asking him to give us his view on the problem. Hopefully, all will be settled soon, one way or another.

pieroxy

Portal Pro
    November 21, 2005
    Paris, France
    sigh said:
    Porbably all of them, cyonics
    Are you aware of the fact that you are violating numerous laws in several countries (I'm not a lawyer here, so I won't elaborate about commerce laws and product misrepresentation) as well as the GPL by misrepresenting the product you are selling?

Edit: Also, all the images are broken on your auctions ;)

sigh

Portal Member
    September 6, 2005
    pieroxy said:
    sigh said:
    Porbably all of them, cyonics
    Are you aware of the fact that you are violating numerous laws in several countries (I'm not a lawyer here, so I won't elaborate about commerce laws and product misrepresentation) as well as the GPL by misrepresenting the product you are selling?

I disagree, don't bring it up if you don't know what your talking about. I'm here to discuss facts and help create solutions.

Users who are viewing this thread