[Proposal] More compact tvguide (1 Viewer)

barnonline

Portal Member
November 9, 2006
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
The current layout of the tv guide is like; whats on tv right now?

I would like a more compact layout like the one we see on paper, where each channel is a vertical coloumn, and you get an all day overview.

Vasilich

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 30, 2009
    Germany, Mayence
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    just think of majority of users that sit several meters from their TVs. And try to get enough readable information in a column. Then you can see that all this is unreadable if you sit mote than half meter from tv
    Try to make mockup, then we will see how can it look like..

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    just think of majority of users that sit several meters from their TVs. And try to get enough readable information in a column. Then you can see that all this is unreadable if you sit mote than half meter from tv
    Try to make mockup, then we will see how can it look like..
    This is a proposal for the webinterface, not the MediaPortal tv guide... ;)

jsabrahamsen

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 8, 2008
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Here is an example I think works well: http://www.dr.dk/tv/oversigt

It is in danish, but it is the layout we're interested in.

Another example is this web interface for mediaportal, which also has a vertical layout option, which I really like because it was very compact. Not fancy, but extremely functional. Unfortunately it is no longer maintained.

Last edited:

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I think the best chance for this to get implemented is if someone who is interested in this creates a skin that has a vertical TV guide. I'm personally not interested in implementing it (at the moment).

barnonline

Portal Member
    November 9, 2006
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    jsabrahamsen: It is exactly BigKev's mp-web-interface I have used, and I liked the compact layout. Not very pretty, but extremely functional.
    When using the webinterface, I do not intend to actually watch tv. But I would like to plan my recordings, when I'm not at home.
    For that I would like a more compact layout.

I have dl'et the source, and it seems that I can basically reuse the view and just let two foreach loop swap places.
    But I must connect to a database and get some data before I can say anything concrete.

Dragy

Portal Pro
    April 27, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    How about the mobile layout in BlueShift?
    newguide.PNG

Maybe I can add a button to toggle to a multicolumn version of that for wider screens.

barnonline

Portal Member
    November 9, 2006
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    It seems very much like a usable solution, it try it!

:)

Users who are viewing this thread