MP 1.21 Volume OSD for 1039 MCE remote and MCE keyboard not working (1 Viewer)

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Why do you need two different volume OSDs?

As long as the volume can be controlled by both keyboard and the remote control, and an OSD (of some kind) is displayed, isn't that enough?

Hazza06

Portal Member
    February 14, 2019
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Why do you need two different volume OSDs?

As long as the volume can be controlled by both keyboard and the remote control, and an OSD (of some kind) is displayed, isn't that enough?

I'd be happy if just one volume OSD worked with remote. As i clearly articulated already, the issue is when remote/keyboard volume controls, the volume OSD is absent altogether in MP 1.21 + Windows 7, whereas previously in MP1.20 + Windows 7 -> volume OSD worked.

If you install MP 1.21 onto windows 7 OS you will soon see when using remote/keyboard volume controls, volume OSD is absent altogether in MP 1.21 Windows 7. Unlike MP 1.20, where volume OSD worked when using remote.

So i ask again, will the 'completly' absent volume OSD in MP1.21 + Win 7 be fixed ?

Last edited:

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    I've installed MP 1.21 on the only PC I have that runs Win 7 (an old Samsung NC110 'netbook').

Using the keyboard - & = keys I see the MP volume OSD.

Using the keyboard 'volume -' and 'volume +' keys (the ones with speaker icons on them) I see the Windows volume OSD (but not the MP volume OSD)

I can't test with an MCE remote as I don't have one.

MP sound settings I used:

upload_2019-2-27_20-38-31.png

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    I've now tried MP 1.20 on the same Win 7 system.

Using the keyboard - & = keys I see the MP volume OSD (same as 1.21)

Using the keyboard 'volume -' and 'volume +' keys (the ones with speaker icons on them) I see the Windows volume OSD *and* the MP volume OSD (different to 1.21).

@Hazza06 - Is that the same behavior as on your system?

Hazza06

Portal Member
    February 14, 2019
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I've now tried MP 1.20 on the same Win 7 system.

Using the keyboard - & = keys I see the MP volume OSD (same as 1.21)

Using the keyboard 'volume -' and 'volume +' keys (the ones with speaker icons on them) I see the Windows volume OSD *and* the MP volume OSD (different to 1.21).

@Hazza06 - Is that the same behavior as on your system?

almost, using MP 1.20 with remote or keyboard 'volume -' and 'volume +' keys (the ones with speaker icons on them) I only see the Windows volume OSD, the MP volume OSD is absent.

Last edited:

Hazza06

Portal Member
    February 14, 2019
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I've installed MP 1.21 on the only PC I have that runs Win 7 (an old Samsung NC110 'netbook').

Using the keyboard - & = keys I see the MP volume OSD.

Using the keyboard 'volume -' and 'volume +' keys (the ones with speaker icons on them) I see the Windows volume OSD (but not the MP volume OSD)

I can't test with an MCE remote as I don't have one.

MP sound settings I used:

View attachment 200521

I have the same MP 1.21 volume settings as you have + up to date Win 7 x64, but for me, when using the MCE remote or MCE keyboard volume buttons (yes the ones with speaker icons on them), there is no OSD displayed at all, completely absent. The volume change works, but with no volume OSD at all.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I normally use an Ortek VRC-1100 remote control, which uses a different mapping layer within MP. But I eventually found some batteries with enough voltage to operate my MCE RC6 remote control (a Dell branded version of the OrigenAe RC197 remote control). It seems that there are some problems:

(1) My volume settings in "MP Config" are the same as those shown by @Owlsroost in an earlier post.

(2) I used the "Classic" config on the "HID" tab, with no changes from default settings.

(3) On live TV, the MUTE button works, but no OSD appears. :(

(4) On live TV, the VOLUME_UP and VOLUME_DOWN buttons do nothing (no change in volume, and no OSD). :(

(5) On a keyboard, the "m", "+", and "-" buttons work as expected to mute the sound and increase/decrease the volume level, and the OSD appears as expected. :)

(6) With MP windowed, and displaying the Windows volume-level slider (loudspeaker icon at the right-hand end of the "Task Bar"), the slider position changes in response to the VOLUME_UP/_DOWN buttons, and the speaker icon changes to the muted version when MUTE is pressed. :)

I don't think that this is a configuration mistake -- it looks more like a regression in the MP code somewhere. :(

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Hazza06

Portal Member
    February 14, 2019
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    also did a clean install of MP 1.21 on a different windows 7 x64 ultimate PC, with RC6 MCE remote and MCE keyboard, and am now seeing the same behavior now on 2 separate Win 7 PC's, no change with controlling volume with remote or keyboard volume buttons, volume changes work, completely absent volume OSD.

Can a regression bug be raised ? I'd be happy to promptly test any patches forthcoming, and or perform troubleshooting. I understand the software dev cycle being iterative and all.

Last edited:

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Can a regression bug be raised ?
    Done - [MP1-4940] Audio volume control and OSD problems on Windows 7 - MediaPortal Jira

Can't say how long it might be until someone can look into it - just depends on when someone has the time (and a Win 7 system to debug it on).

In the meantime, this page lists a few volume OSD apps that might be useful as a workaround - 5 Tools To Get An On Screen Volume Level Indicator • Raymond.CC

Hazza06

Portal Member
    February 14, 2019
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Done - [MP1-4940] Audio volume control and OSD problems on Windows 7 - MediaPortal Jira

Can't say how long it might be until someone can look into it - just depends on when someone has the time (and a Win 7 system to debug it on).

In the meantime, this page lists a few volume OSD apps that might be useful as a workaround - 5 Tools To Get An On Screen Volume Level Indicator • Raymond.CC

None of those OSD apps work, at least with the MCE RC6 remote :sick:

If you want some MP debugging performed, i can help there, just let me know what you want ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom