MP 1.21 Volume OSD for 1039 MCE remote and MCE keyboard not working (5 Viewers)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    New version of the bug fix to try
    I installed the new files, rebooted, and ran the test that I described previously, but the results were the same. :( I used press-and-release repeatedly from zero volume, but the volume OSD reached maximum long before the audible sound level reached maximum. :( Do you want fresh logs?

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    ran the test that I described previously, but the results were the same. :( I used press-and-release repeatedly from zero volume, but the volume OSD reached maximum long before the audible sound level reached maximum. :(

Thanks for the testing :)

I didn't have much hope it would fix the Ortek remote behaviour - it was more about coming up with a better way (from a programming viewpoint) of handling the deadlock issue.

As we now have the MP volume OSD working on again on Win 7, and hopefully no deadlock issue, I plan to put this version of the fix into 1.22 pre-release for wider testing.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I didn't have much hope it would fix the Ortek remote behaviour
    The Ortek/Hama remote control has had a bit of a checkered history. o_O

The Ortek originally worked correctly, but the changes that @Stéphane Lenclud introduced for the "General HID" support caused an unintended change to the handling of the Ortek, with the result that a keyboard could no longer be used to enter search strings into the on-screen keyboard (e.g. to search the EPG). That was when I created my support pack for the Ortek, with a revised config file. The new config needed a whole new section to define mappings for keyboard keys. That cured the problem with keyboard input, but I have no idea why it fixed the problem. :confused:

Anyway, I have just made a trial change to the Ortek config file, to see if it is possible to bypass whatever change to MP has caused the current problem. The change is simple: I have defined the VOLUME_UP, VOLUME_DOWN, and MUTE buttons to map to the MP action "Invalid", so that those buttons now do nothing. Result: the volume and mute buttons operate correctly, and the volume OSD and mute icon appear and disappear correctly. (y) :)

However, there is one difference from previous behaviour. With these changes, it requires three button presses on the Ortek in order to change the length of the volume bar by one unit. Previously, it required only one button press to change the volume bar by one unit. Actually, I think that three presses per unit is the same as the way that the MCE RC6 remote behaves on my system. @Hazza06 in this post mentioned a similar behaviour, so perhaps this is "normal" behaviour.

So, we have a solution for the Ortek/Hama for MP 1.22 and future releases. I will need to test to see if this change to the Ortek config file is backward compatible (i.e. will it still work correctly on MP 1.20 and older releases).

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    So, we have a solution for the Ortek/Hama for MP 1.22 and future releases. I will need to test to see if this change to the Ortek config file is back ward compatible (i.e. will it still work correctly on MP 1.20 and older releases).

@CyberSimian Hi just wanted to alert you to the fact that your proposed change to the Ortek config file will impact users of the CEC Remote plugin when the setting shown in the attached screenshot is enabled. I use this setting in conjuction with a Pulse8 CEC dongle to control the volume on my AVR. Normally with trhis setting ticked the MP and Windoiws volume remain locked on max and only the avr responds to volume changes and mute. With the Ortek volume controls set to invalid the MP and Windows volume OSDs change as does the volume but there is not longer control over the AVR volume.:(.

cec.jpg

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    just wanted to alert you to the fact that your proposed change to the Ortek config file will impact users of the CEC Remote plugin when the setting shown in the attached screenshot is enabled.
    This seems to be a very complex area to get right. :(

Both the Ortek and the MCE RC6 remote controls worked correctly on MP 1.20, but some change introduced in MP 1.21 has resulted in problems with the MCE RC6 remote (no volume change on my system). @Owlsroost's changes have corrected the MCE RC6 problem :), but with an unexpected side effect on the behaviour of the Ortek. :(

At this point I don't think that there is a solution that will work for everyone, and I suspect that users of the CEC plugin are in the minority. :( So I think that the default "Centarea HID" config file should work in the common case, i.e. include the changes that I outlined previously. However, I can add some words to the TXT file explaining how to modify the config file for use with the CEC plugin. The user can do this easily for themselves. But does anyone ever read the TXT file? :eek:

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    At this point I don't think that there is a solution that will work for everyone, and I suspect that users of the CEC plugin are in the minority. :( So I think that the default "Centarea HID" config file should work in the common case, i.e. include the changes that I outlined previously. However, I can add some words to the TXT file explaining how to modify the config file for use with the CEC plugin. The user can do this easily for themselves. But does anyone ever read the TXT file? :eek:
    Agreed,;) and regarding the TXT file though it would be also good to have a section in the Wiki on installing and using the Ortek and your .ahk/Centarea HId .xml. I would be happy to do that if you don't have the time, let me know.:) Then at least you can tell people to RTFM in the event of install questions.:p

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Would you maybe be willing to do a test of the new MP2 HID Input Device handler with this remote?
    Rather than me, I think that @joecrow might be a better candidate. I have never even installed MP2, whereas I recollect that @joecrow has installed MP2 and did try an earlier iteration of the Input Handler. And he also uses the Ortek/Hama remote control. (y)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    it would be also good to have a section in the Wiki on installing and using the Ortek and your .ahk/Centarea HId .xml.
    Hmm, it had never occurred to me that a section in the Wiki might be useful o_O, but it is clearly a good idea (y). If you are willing and have the time, please go ahead and create a new section or page describing the Ortek/Hama and how to set it up. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom