MP TV server - linux client (1 Viewer)

ddragas

Portal Member
May 9, 2006
Hi all

I'm looking for linux client to be able to stream from MP server (using 1.0.2.0 ver)

can please somebody point me in right direction

thank you in advance

kind regards

ddragas

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    You should try XBMC with the MediaPortal TV AddOn.
    Cool, didn't know about that one...

thank you for your reply

is it possible to use VLC (linux) as tv client for MP server?

Yes it is possible if you use MPWebServices. You will get a website where you can choose a channel and open it with vlc. You can even transcode the stream on the fly but this is a little bit tricky to set up. Note that you can't change channels from within vlc, you'll have to tune to another channel via the web interface.

You might also be interrested in this thread. Whereas it is technically for smartphones like the iphone, the technology used (http streaming) can also be used with a flash- or a silverlight player.

Ruud

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 5, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Re: AW: MP TV server - linux client

hummm, must have missed that completely.... any link for further details? (I know... lazy me ;))
    regards,
    Ruud.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria

hummm, must have missed that completely.... any link for further details? (I know... lazy me ;))
    regards,
    Ruud.
    Just search for "MediaPortal" in the xbmc forums.
    But don't expect too much, that "plugin" does not work well at all.
    Current release (1 month old) has broken LiveTV.
    It also requires some exe to be run serverside.

I have no clue why none "just" writes a plugin to directly "talk" to the TvServer. All the current approaches are totally flawed in design.

Ruud

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 5, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

Just search for "MediaPortal" in the xbmc forums.
    But don't expect too much, that "plugin" does not work well at all.
    Current release (1 month old) has broken LiveTV.
    It also requires some exe to be run serverside.

I have no clue why none "just" writes a plugin to directly "talk" to the TvServer. All the current approaches are totally flawed in design.

Hi, this is exactly my view of the situation.... that's why I asked for some more info, just in case I would have missed something.
    I know there where some discussions regarding a high-level / cover all aspects / pvr design, but nobody seemed to pick up on that.

anyway,
    thanks for the info ;)
    regards,
    Ruud.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria

but nobody seemed to pick up on that.
    Yeah, I never understood why XBMC devs ignore the TV part completelly.
    Their "recent" approach to connect to linux based tv-engines is far from useable.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

but nobody seemed to pick up on that.
    Yeah, I never understood why XBMC devs ignore the TV part completelly.
    Their "recent" approach to connect to linux based tv-engines is far from useable.

My bet is on that the majority of XBMC users gain access to the latest TV series in a different form than real TV :D Just a guess, no hard facts around.

Users who are viewing this thread