MP-TVSeries v4.3.6 Release [2020-01-24] (4 Viewers)

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    note you can also download wide banners from fanart.tv from the artwork gui.

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    No thoughts yet, but will think about adding support for other providers such as TMDb and nfo (local). It's going to be a busy year for me start of next so bad timing for this to happen.

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Amazing how their forums switched off prior to this expectation of pay walling the API in the new future. Sneaky bastards if you ask me. If money was such an issue did they ever have donation drives to resolve them or is it blatently a move to monetising the tvdb? Seems everyones at this recently. Must be nice when most of your work force works for zero wages.

Soxbrother

Portal Pro
    July 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    So when this v4 api is released, we can't get any info anymore for the mptvseries plugin ?
    That's too bad...:(

Greetings,
    Soxbrother

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    Ltfearme will sort it ;) there is tmdb and I guess if you want to choose to subscribe tvdb is available if he updates to support it. Sounds like a lot of work for him :(

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    To be fair, it can cost a ton of money that ads might not be sufficient to cover, considering that a lot of users rely on the data without ever seeing ads, or visit the website with ad-blockers. They should have indeed been better at communicating and offer donations which work well for Wikipedia, so there is no reason to think it would not have worked for TheTVdB. If they get too greedy then an alternative will arise, so in worst case we just have to be prepared for that.

Can always manually add entries to MP-TVSeries, or live without summaries and episode thumbnails for a bit as episodes will still be added without any access to TheTVdB :censored:

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    I guess my point was not asking for money suggests there are no money concerns. Also last year he blogged that commercial support using tvdb had now enabled him to make it his full time job going forward (so presumably it was also paying him a salary on top of everything else so that he could quit his day job). Now hes used that time to invent v4 API and pay wall it. Hes also saying in the last 3 days none of this will affect Plex (paid plex pass or unpaid - how he knows this specifically he did not elaborate), so you would assume either they’ve settled on licensing (its certainly not going to require a user to have a subscription to tvdb) or abandoned tvdb. He says the running costs are several tens of thousand per month - unless hes a millionaire or very generous to us all, its already getting covered from somewhere?

Couple that with magically abandoning the forums right before this subscription page appears (without it ever being announced), just poor taste if you ask me. Even Amazon didn’t go this flat out with imdb! I personally won’t part with a penny to it, of course everyone will have some opinion.

I liken this to the IFTTT events of late. Got rid of that too and went to home assistant :)

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    I'm on HomeSeer myself, as I've seen failing ideas result in entire cloud solutions to end in misery. There's something about being totally off-line that suits me for something critical as Home Automation. Google was the biggest one to just kill Nest API support in 2018/2019, and have now brought it back for $5, but you'd think that for a company like Google the $5 they get from end-users isn't exactly needed to keep the lights on.

Who knows, maybe Plex paid him enough that they want to eliminate some more competition, because what greater way to do that then what is happening now. It'll be interesting to see what Sonarr will do as they rely heavy on the same API data that MP-TVSeries does, and they are open-sourced as well.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Got some more info.

https://www.reddit.com/r/kodi/comments/jrgat2/_/gbvzcf0
    So, they start off by asking $30/k year for a commercial license, then willing to accept $6k/year if you balk at those numbers, and finally are willing to settle for even less if you can convince them that your project is "small", and:
    1. The project doesn't have commercial funding
    2. The project doesn't put unnecessary or high burden on our API
    3. The project's users help contribute information to our site
    So, #1 is Check, #3 is Check, but #2 I have no insight into.

If they accept $100/mo or less, then I would think that there might be room for that with a donation drive. Or do what Jellyfin is doing and move away from TheTVdB.

Maybe the code can be modified to allow the data-importers to become stand-alone, the same way Moving-Pictures does it, so others can contribute easier, but this might be more difficult for MP-TVSeries and a massive undertaking obviously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom