[solved] - MP1-4585 Generic HID input device support for MCE buttons | Page 5

Discussion in 'Area 51 - Testing Area' started by Stéphane Lenclud, December 20, 2014.

1. Stéphane Lenclud
    • Team MediaPortal

Stéphane Lenclud Development Group

Ratings:
    +1,270 / 8
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Thanks guys for your feedback. I did not get a chance to work on those changes nor answer some of your points here because I've been busy doing a major hardware upgrade to my HTPC. The beast is now back in the living room and I've resumed testing of those changes.
    I've taken out the iMON IR module and replaced it with a PCS-MCE.
    First thing I noticed is that it did not work with Generic HID for some reason, though it was obviously working on my development machine.
    It turns out that Shortcut'er plugin was causing the problem. I'm not sure what exactly that plug-in does but it seems it intercepts the WM_INPUT and thus prevents the Generic HID implementation to function.
    However I don't need Shortcut'er with a 'proper' remote device, though it was useful when using iMON.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stéphane Lenclud
    • Team MediaPortal

Ratings:
    +1,270 / 8
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    I see, so you concerns are that I have recycled the settings entries from the former 'General HID'. I thought about that and decided to be lazy about it and not bother changing them. Either way users will have to go back in the Configuration and fix their Remote settings. I'm going to rename the settings entries to make it cleaner I guess.

I totally agree with that. If all goes well we could withdraw the 'Microsoft MCE' implementation in 1.12 or 1.13.

Ooops, then I try cleaning up my own mess :)

4. Stéphane Lenclud
    • Team MediaPortal

Ratings:
    +1,270 / 8
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
  5. CyberSimian
    • Team MediaPortal

CyberSimian Test Group

Ratings:
    +972 / 3
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
    :(

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

6. The_Stig
    • Premium Supporter

The_Stig Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +426 / 5
    Hey Stephane,

as you're on this way...I am personally using a standard MCE remote and am quite happy with it. As far as I understand, this change won't bring up any new features for me, or am I wrong?

But: what I always found no really nice regaring the remote possibilities of MP is that you can't map Macros, Batches or Keyboard-combinations to a button on the remote within MP configuration. Do you see any way to include such things in your rework?

7. Stéphane Lenclud
    • Team MediaPortal

Ratings:
    +1,270 / 8
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    You are right it should not change much for you.
    Though it should make it somewhat easier for you to configure your remote if you fancy editing XML files.

It's outside the scope of those changes.

8. Stéphane Lenclud
    • Team MediaPortal

Ratings:
    +1,270 / 8
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Well spotted, I fixed it. The legacy bits of raw input in Win32API.cs could be removed whenever we get rid of 'Microsoft MCE'.

I just published a new build on the first post that's adding a bit of logs and fixed the settings entries to address @mm1352000 concerns.
    If you get a chance please smoke test that last build. I'll be wanting to merge those changes as they are now.

@high it seems JIRA is running quite slow and fisheye is down (good riddance :oops: you know I love that tool )

Diffs can be found there:
    https://github.com/MediaPortal/MediaPortal-1/commit/edfc02ea543afea35c0a1565419f74a1c531929c

9. Stéphane Lenclud
    • Team MediaPortal

Ratings:
    +1,270 / 8
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    I believe you can have any number of actions associated with a button. Would that not do for your needs?
    Though I'm not sure how that works in practice, I'm not sure how and if the order of executions of actions is guaranteed for instance.

@The_Stig If you want to discuss that further please open another thread and feel free to tag me on there if you think I can bring something to that topic.

10. The_Stig
    • Premium Supporter

The_Stig Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +426 / 5
    Thanks. But I guess it would be a massive overwork what I am thinking about. No need to bother the good old lady MP1 with this change I guess.

11. high
    • Team MediaPortal
    • IT-Admin

high Administrator

Sysadmin
    Ratings:
    +4,836 / 6
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Jira is slow because Fisheye times out ;) Restartet it, no idea why it shut down itself. Happens from time to time...

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!