[solved] MP1-4585 Generic HID input device support for MCE buttons (1 Viewer)

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks guys for your feedback. I did not get a chance to work on those changes nor answer some of your points here because I've been busy doing a major hardware upgrade to my HTPC. The beast is now back in the living room and I've resumed testing of those changes.
    I've taken out the iMON IR module and replaced it with a PCS-MCE.
    First thing I noticed is that it did not work with Generic HID for some reason, though it was obviously working on my development machine.
    It turns out that Shortcut'er plugin was causing the problem. I'm not sure what exactly that plug-in does but it seems it intercepts the WM_INPUT and thus prevents the Generic HID implementation to function.
    However I don't need Shortcut'er with a 'proper' remote device, though it was useful when using iMON.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Sorry, I think you may have missed my point. I'll try again... :)
    My point is that somebody who is using MCE + old generic HID now will have MCE + new HID enabled after upgrade. It isn't that people would necessarily apply that configuration intentionally. Rather, it will be the natural consequence of a standard upgrade for people who currently use that [potentially common] configuration. That's why I asked what would happen for them. Suddenly having many/all button presses repeated would not be good.

I see, so you concerns are that I have recycled the settings entries from the former 'General HID'. I thought about that and decided to be lazy about it and not bother changing them. Either way users will have to go back in the Configuration and fix their Remote settings. I'm going to rename the settings entries to make it cleaner I guess.

If the legacy implementations are not required then I'm strongly in favour of removing them as fast as possible. Less configuration => less setup time, less confusion => better. :)

I totally agree with that. If all goes well we could withdraw the 'Microsoft MCE' implementation in 1.12 or 1.13.

I only mentioned it because you seem to have added that function definition. ;)

Ooops, then I try cleaning up my own mess :)

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    Hey Stephane,

as you're on this way...I am personally using a standard MCE remote and am quite happy with it. As far as I understand, this change won't bring up any new features for me, or am I wrong?

But: what I always found no really nice regaring the remote possibilities of MP is that you can't map Macros, Batches or Keyboard-combinations to a button on the remote within MP configuration. Do you see any way to include such things in your rework?

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    as you're on this way...I am personally using a standard MCE remote and am quite happy with it. As far as I understand, this change won't bring up any new features for me, or am I wrong?

You are right it should not change much for you.
    Though it should make it somewhat easier for you to configure your remote if you fancy editing XML files.

But: what I always found no really nice regaring the remote possibilities of MP is that you can't map Macros, Batches or Keyboard-combinations to a button on the remote within MP configuration. Do you see any way to include such things in your rework?

It's outside the scope of those changes.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    P.S.: while writing this post I happened to notice that the entry point for GetRawInputData() in Win32API.cs is incorrect. Looks like that function isn't used (there's another definition that is used instead), but might pay to fix it (or remove it).
    Well spotted, I fixed it. The legacy bits of raw input in Win32API.cs could be removed whenever we get rid of 'Microsoft MCE'.

I just published a new build on the first post that's adding a bit of logs and fixed the settings entries to address @mm1352000 concerns.
    If you get a chance please smoke test that last build. I'll be wanting to merge those changes as they are now.

@high it seems JIRA is running quite slow and fisheye is down (good riddance :oops: you know I love that tool )

Diffs can be found there:
    https://github.com/MediaPortal/MediaPortal-1/commit/edfc02ea543afea35c0a1565419f74a1c531929c

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

I believe you can have any number of actions associated with a button. Would that not do for your needs?
    Though I'm not sure how that works in practice, I'm not sure how and if the order of executions of actions is guaranteed for instance.

@The_Stig If you want to discuss that further please open another thread and feel free to tag me on there if you think I can bring something to that topic.

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    @The_Stig If you want to discuss that further please open another thread and feel free to tag me on there if you think I can bring something to that topic.
    Thanks. But I guess it would be a massive overwork what I am thinking about. No need to bother the good old lady MP1 with this change I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom