MP2 Client Splash Screen (2 Viewers)

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I like the MP2 logo but I had to do a double take on the word "CLNT", as it's very close to a naughty word :)

I have alway thought that too, but worried it was just my sick mind.

I have to say, I am not all that keen on the "CLNT" bit. With the server side running as a service it is the only bit of software the user will see, which sort of renders the need to label it as the client, pointless.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Orange on black
    splashscreen2.png

Gold on black
    splashscreen1.png

Difference Logo on standard
    spaslscreen3.png

Orange on standard
    splashscreen4.png

Attachments

• splashscreen.psd
      15.8 MB
    Last edited:

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Generally speaking, I don't like our ancient approach on spalshscreens.

No one here using Photoshop? -> transparent splashscreens?

Splash_Transparent_PS.jpg

Very quick mockup. Imagine the MP logo's glow pulsate, just like the windows logo when you start your pc.
    Time to add some facy stuff! ;)
    Splash_Transparent_MP.jpg

Last edited:

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Those "anchient" ones are much better for HTPC usage where you want to have the whole experience coming with one style - the less there are signs from some desktop OS the better it looks (no matter if the splash screen itself looks bad :)).

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Those "anchient" ones are much better for HTPC usage where you want to have the whole experience coming with one style - the less there are signs from some desktop OS the better it looks (no matter if the splash screen itself looks bad :)).
    I do not agree.

Generally speaking, an application should start so fast that there is no need at all for a splashscreen. Take XBMC as an example.

For real HTPC useage, the fullscreen splash screen is the only option to get the "HTPC" feeling.

That small splashscreen is something for windowed mode. And there something fancy works best because it is catchy.

Last edited:

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Generally speaking, an application should start so fast that there is no need at all for a splashscreen. take XBMC as an example.

On my dev PC MP1 starts pretty much in the same time as XBMC. Actually first startup is slower for XBMC, but after XBMC files are in OS cache it is faster than MP1. Biggest reason for MP slowness is the 3rd party plugins that are pretty much doing it all wrong when they start up.

For real HTPC useage, the fullscreen splash screen is the only option to get the "HTPC" feeling.

And for windowed mode application there is no need for a splash screen in my opinion - those are just annoyence that spend few CPU cycles and make the application startup few ms slower than it could be :p

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Generally speaking, an application should start so fast that there is no need at all for a splashscreen. take XBMC as an example.

On my dev PC MP1 starts pretty much in the same time as XBMC. Actually first startup is slower for XBMC, but after XBMC files are in OS cache it is faster than MP1. Biggest reason for MP slowness is the 3rd party plugins that are pretty much doing it all wrong when they start up.
    Not here. Even the first startup of XBMC after I booted the PC, is almost instant.
    Where MP without any extensions takes it's time. And that from an SSD.

And for windowed mode application there is no need for a splash screen in my opinion - those are just annoyence that spend few CPU cycles and make the application startup few ms slower than it could be :p
    Depends on how fast the application starts. Due to the slowness of MP(1), a splashsrcreen is required to actually tell the user that it is in the process of starting.

Users who are viewing this thread