[Question] MPExtended WebMediaPortal and Chromecast (1 Viewer)

richwright

September 5, 2012
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Any thoughts regarding chromecast integration?
Allowing the ability to send the webportal page to a chromecast device from a chrome browser ?

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Yes we've discussed it already and we want to add it at some point. But right now a) none of us has a chromecast yet and b) chromecast is in the very early stages so you'll have to give it some time...

jhb

Portal Pro
    September 19, 2006
    Gothenburg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    It should perhaps not be so hard to do this if you use the chrome browser as application for this. Open the web interface of a stream in MPextended in chrome and put it to full screen and move it to the chromecast device. I would've tried it already if I would've had a ChromeCast device...

But this is based on my understanding of how it works...

powermarcel10

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2010
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    And what about UpnP/DNLA support in MPExtended? I don't understand the whole hipe about the chromecast.. With an UpnP rederer and player in Mediaportal (there is allready a plugin, but that one is not developed anymore) you can do exactly the same as far as I know, and it's a lot easier to develop I gues..

What are your thoughts about this @DieBagger? :)

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    And what about UpnP/DNLA support in MPExtended? I don't understand the whole hipe about the chromecast.. With an UpnP rederer and player in Mediaportal (there is allready a plugin, but that one is not developed anymore) you can do exactly the same as far as I know, and it's a lot easier to develop I gues..

That it would be awesome... ;)

Unfortunately there's no good out-of-the-box solution for dlna afaik (did quite a bit of research a while back). And as with everything else: Someone has to actually implement it... ;)

powermarcel10

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2010
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

Unfortunately there's no good out-of-the-box solution for dlna afaik (did quite a bit of research a while back). And as with everything else: Someone has to actually implement it... ;)

I understand.. But the plugin that is allready developed for Mediaportal is working really good with (up to) MP 1.5. I can do with it what I want:

Stream music, video's and pictures right into Mediaportal.. This functionallity is totally awesome!

The reason I like to see this functionallity in MPExtended is because the plugin is not developed anymore, and it is really a HOT feature for MPextended I gues.. If you can get the source code of this plugin, do you think you can do something with it? :)

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria

I understand.. But the plugin that is allready developed for Mediaportal is working really good with (up to) MP 1.5. I can do with it what I want:

Stream music, video's and pictures right into Mediaportal.. This functionallity is totally awesome!

The reason I like to see this functionallity in MPExtended is because the plugin is not developed anymore, and it is really a HOT feature for MPextended I gues.. If you can get the source code of this plugin, do you think you can do something with it? :)
    Hm, I thought you wanted MPExtended to act as a DLNA streaming server... You're talking about dlna playback, imo that's better off in MP (since it is a frontend for playing video).

hafblade

Portal Pro
    January 19, 2011
    Trier, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yesterday the Google Chromecast has been released for 35 € in germany.
    I directly went to MediaMarkt and bought one.

I tried it out yesterday and it is some really great device especially together with Plex Media Server which I tried out in the last two month.
    But I would really love if this is also supported by MPExtended together with Ampdroid. So it could be possible to watch TV and OnlineVideos of MP on Chromecast.

Are there any new plans since december?

Users who are viewing this thread