New Flat Screen | Page 2

Discussion in 'Displays' started by aggi, August 11, 2006.

1. knutinh

knutinh Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Note that unlike PC displays, nearly no flatscreens will accept their native resolution at input and display it as that!

I know, this sounds insane, but tvs are a world of itself, and in the tv-world, material is usually distributed with excess area that may be cropped (overscan) in crt tvs.

For some reason the engineers that design Philips tvs, Pioneer plasmas, and many other high-quality brands found that computer users would probably enjoy a second pass of rescaling and cropping :-(

For some tvs it is possible to circumvent this by using VGA in stead of DVI/HDMI (but then you wont be able to playback HD-DVD/BR legally...)

remember to use the graphics driver panel or an external app that lets you tweak non-standard resolutions for the PC. Normally, this is 1360x768 for lcd tvs. For some, you will still see perhaps 1250x720 source-pixels stretched out across the 1366x768 lcd physical pixels of the display...

-k

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. BugsBunny

BugsBunny Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Home Country:
    Austria Austria
  4. knutinh

knutinh Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I would suggest LG or DELL lcd screens if you are gonna use MP as a main source of video.

I dont think that 1080p is supported on input-terminals even though the screen itself is 1080p on anything except insanely expensive tvs...

I also dont think that 1080p is that important unless you will have a very large monitor/projector and/or sit very close to the screen. At large distances we dont have the vision to see any difference :)

-k

5. knutinh

knutinh Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
  6. Inker
    • Premium Supporter

Inker Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +319 / 0
    I can also confirm the Samsung LCDs. I've got a LE-32 R 41 and its awesome. Only it doesnt allow DVI input at its native res, but I use VGA and it allows it there. Haven't tried HDMI yet so maybe that's another alternative.

Also the newer panels might allow native res via DVI, but mine doesn't.

Inker

7. knutinh

knutinh Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    SAMSUNG:
    Name Size Native Resolution 1:1 Digital 1:1 VGA Optical Overscan Source Other
    xx0P 32/40 1366x768 60Hz 60Hz No 1
    LE-xxRyy 26/32/40 1366x768 No 60Hz No 1
    LE-xxMyy 26/32/40/46 1366x768 No 60Hz No 1

http://pixelmapping.wikispaces.com/Samsung TVs

-k

8. Callifo
    • Premium Supporter

Callifo Retired Team Member

Student
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    Home Country:
    Weve only got HDMI on this model but as far as I understood, those types of digital connectors only allow standard resolutions (ie 480i, 720p, 1080i etc) and not custom resolutions (ie native resolution). Hence we also went with VGA in, honestly the quality is so good I dont think we'd be able to tell the difference. And $50-150 for a cable doesnt exactly appeal.

9. aggi

aggi Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    hello,

thx for your statements.
    i've bought last week a 32" philips lcd (32PF5321!).
    my htpc is connected over dvi to hdmi and the picture is brilliant.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!