New Flat Screen (1 Viewer)

knutinh

Portal Pro
September 4, 2005
Note that unlike PC displays, nearly no flatscreens will accept their native resolution at input and display it as that!

I know, this sounds insane, but tvs are a world of itself, and in the tv-world, material is usually distributed with excess area that may be cropped (overscan) in crt tvs.

For some reason the engineers that design Philips tvs, Pioneer plasmas, and many other high-quality brands found that computer users would probably enjoy a second pass of rescaling and cropping :-(

For some tvs it is possible to circumvent this by using VGA in stead of DVI/HDMI (but then you wont be able to playback HD-DVD/BR legally...)

remember to use the graphics driver panel or an external app that lets you tweak non-standard resolutions for the PC. Normally, this is 1360x768 for lcd tvs. For some, you will still see perhaps 1250x720 source-pixels stretched out across the 1366x768 lcd physical pixels of the display...

-k

knutinh

Portal Pro
September 4, 2005
I would suggest LG or DELL lcd screens if you are gonna use MP as a main source of video.

I dont think that 1080p is supported on input-terminals even though the screen itself is 1080p on anything except insanely expensive tvs...

I also dont think that 1080p is that important unless you will have a very large monitor/projector and/or sit very close to the screen. At large distances we dont have the vision to see any difference :)

-k

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    Callifo said:
    Lyxalig said:
    I recommend a samsung LCD from their R-series.. ex: LE-40R72B.. 40" or LE-32R72B. Higly recommended.

Weve got the LE-40R72B and its great, another recommendation.

I can also confirm the Samsung LCDs. I've got a LE-32 R 41 and its awesome. Only it doesnt allow DVI input at its native res, but I use VGA and it allows it there. Haven't tried HDMI yet so maybe that's another alternative.

Also the newer panels might allow native res via DVI, but mine doesn't.

Inker

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    Inker said:
    Callifo said:
    Lyxalig said:
    I recommend a samsung LCD from their R-series.. ex: LE-40R72B.. 40" or LE-32R72B. Higly recommended.

Weve got the LE-40R72B and its great, another recommendation.

I can also confirm the Samsung LCDs. I've got a LE-32 R 41 and its awesome. Only it doesnt allow DVI input at its native res, but I use VGA and it allows it there. Haven't tried HDMI yet so maybe that's another alternative.

Also the newer panels might allow native res via DVI, but mine doesn't.

Inker

Weve only got HDMI on this model but as far as I understood, those types of digital connectors only allow standard resolutions (ie 480i, 720p, 1080i etc) and not custom resolutions (ie native resolution). Hence we also went with VGA in, honestly the quality is so good I dont think we'd be able to tell the difference. And $50-150 for a cable doesnt exactly appeal.

aggi

Portal Pro
    January 8, 2006
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    hello,

thx for your statements.
    i've bought last week a 32" philips lcd (32PF5321!).
    my htpc is connected over dvi to hdmi and the picture is brilliant.

Users who are viewing this thread