New TV engine and DVB-subtitles? (1 Viewer)

mPod

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
Why is not in Mantis if it's considered as a bug? Just a though, but that could perhaps lead to some dev picking up the issue and making everyon
It's not really a "bug", it's more the missing feature to render transparencies for TTX. Maybe that's why... ;)

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    How many different type of subtitles are used for DVB broadcasts? And exactly which ones is it that will be supported?

From what i can gather here in Denmark DVB standard bitmap subtitles are used (along with occasional Teletext subtitle support) on DVB-T broadcasts, is that what will be supported? (I dont use DVB-T personally, but my parents do in their brand new MP HTPC ;)

I use DVB-C, and there are few channels where i dont get subtitles, National Geographic, Discovery, Animal Planet etc.
    Im not sure how the subs are transmitted, but i do get subtitles in MyTheatre on those channels. Should i expect to be able to see these subtitles as well when the above discussed support is added?

DonBogo

Portal Pro
    July 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Subtitles

I completely agree that today there are other priorities than subtitles, TV-engine 3 has to work perfectly and developers have only two hands ;)

However a member of my family simply need subtitles, you can understand why, so if a developer can take care of it when possible will simplify my TV setup and life a lot ;)

Just to let you know priority related to my country:
    1) Tetetext subtitles (this annoying background transparency - otherways they works!!).
    2) DVB subtitles (only some channel uses it - and when used also trought teletext are supplied - will try when V3 released).
    3) MHP

The final wish it's the possibility to record it :)

Thanks for your great work.

Frodo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    The tvserver supports DVB subtitles (not teletext subtitles, or MHEG or MHP)
    The subtitles are streamed to the client and if you use VLC for example
    to watch the stream, you'll notice that subtitles are present and shown.

However, Mediaportal itself does not support DVB subtitles yet.
    So:
    - yes tv server supports dvb subtitles
    - you can view dvb subtitles in vlc for example
    - mediaportal itself cannot display the subtitles (yet)

Frodo

Mikou

Portal Pro
    October 25, 2006
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    I cannot see subtitles at VLC when I'm streaming Finnish Yleisradio broadcasts YLE1 or YLE2.

Users who are viewing this thread